if someone smokes pot in their home, but you can smell it in yours does that or can that get into your kids or your system? Or can it harm your child?

I have a neighbor that use to do it before moving her I am pretty sure they are doing it again. They keep the basement windows open and my livingroom windows are directly across from them. I tried shutting the windows, but then it gets so hot in the house. I don't want to call the police because we are having enough problems with these people as it is (we use to be friends long story). But I am afraid she will try doing something to get even casue she is like that so I don't know what else to do? But I also want to know if I can smell it I know my kids can. So can it harm my kids?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 10:21 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Health

• Probably not ...and probably not. Contact highs are very hard to accomplish. Unless they are hot boxing your home then it is probably fairly safe.
    however, i'd be very annoyed and would complain.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:23 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• i'm surprised by the misinformation being given here.
    as i stated, contact highs are typically very hard to achieve. As an ex-pot smoker i know just how difficult it can be. Unless they are locking your children in the closet with them while they smoke it is not likely to get into their system.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:28 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Just the smell of pot will not harm your kids. I personally don't see anything wrong with even smoking pot. I'll be the first to admit I smoked a lot as a teenager and I turned out just fine. Im very healthy, have a successful career and a great family!
    Morgs7531642

Answer by Morgs7531642 at 11:57 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• people get contact highs off the smoke of other peoples pot smoking
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:22 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• If you can smell smoke then the chemicals are in the air...but as long as no one is actually smoking in your house you should be fine.
    shortleo

Answer by shortleo at 10:25 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• If you're smelling it, chances are you and your kids are inhaling it. Think of it like second-hand cigarette smoke...except you could get a real buzz off the pot smoke. You definitly do not want your kids breathing that stuff.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 10:25 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I am very annoyed, but like I said I am afraid of what she might do cause I know for a fact she would know it was me that called.
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 10:25 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• In the 1970's, we had the daughter of the Base Commander at our base in Germany come to our place and babysit our kids.They were all under age 5. We thought that she would be a responsible teen...we knew her parents. Ha. When we got home, we could smell POT in the air. Needless to say, we NEVER asked her to babysit again. I certainly hope they didn't suffer any harm...so far, they seem to be heathy adults except my oldest who has asthma. If that was due to the pot smoking idiot babysitter, I would be so angry.....I hope it wasn't/ Wouldn't you be beside yourself with anger?
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:35 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• When my older kids were teens, I took them to a concert. A few people near where I was were smoking pot.....and when I left there, I was a bit high....So yeah contact highs do happen and kids would be far more susceptible. On the other hand since second hand smoke from pot is harmless.....guess we could say the same thing for ordinary cigarettes.. Anything you inhale can affect you.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 2:44 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• If YOU can smell it, it IS getting into YOUR system and your kids. You can even test positive for a drug test and that would really suck!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:14 AM on Jul. 28, 2010