Diabetes?

Anyone dealing with it? How were you diagnosed? How has it changed your life?

misunderstood1

Asked by misunderstood1 at 11:01 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Health

• I was diagnosed 9 years ago with type 2 after having had 4 pregnancies with gestational diabetes. My mother has been a type 1 for 54 years, so I was familiar with the disease. How has it changed my life? I'm much more aware of what I eat -- I try to stick to a lower carb diet (careful with pasta, rice, bread, starchy veggies), watch portion sizes, and eat more whole foods. I know that exercise is important. I take meds twice a day and insulin once a day. I have diabetic eye exams twice a year, and quarterly checks with my physician.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 7:49 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My husband was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 12 years ago. We changed our eating habits and started walking. He was doing great until he had a massive strroke about 4 years ago. (He had also developed high cholesterol). Now it seems that if he gets a scratch or any type of wound, it takes forever to heal. I also am very careful of his feet and circulation.
    lizard111

Answer by lizard111 at 11:07 PM on Jul. 27, 2010