• In the Spotlight:

Any advice for me to help prevent my 9 wk baby from getting "pneumonia" AGAIN!

My 9 wk daughter was hospitalized last wednesday Dr. thought it may have been Pertussis , "whooping Cough" . I feel like a bad mother i thought i was doing everything i could to make sure she wouldn't get sick. Including battling with my husband over the temp. to put central air on.

cdesersa

Asked by cdesersa at 11:04 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sanitize your house like crazy and constantly have people wash their hands before going near the baby.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 11:05 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Are you breastfeeding? If not, I would recommend considering relactation.

Other than that, Sherribeare had some good advice :) Also keeping baby out of places that have lots of germs... avoid taking him grocery shopping unless you sanitize the cart before putting him in it (even if he is still in his carrier). If you have other children, make sure they wash their hands a lot, and make sure they're using soap and washing for 20 seconds, ESPECIALLY after playing with other kids or being at school or outside.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:09 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My daughter also has battled this since she was a newborn. i keep her away from any cigarettes, chemicals, any one that is sick, sanitize things in the store such as the cart, wahh your hands often and hers, before anyone comes near her tell them not to touch and to stand away due to her previous illness, People will get offended but it's your child health
    lovmyhubby

Answer by lovmyhubby at 11:08 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• YES....WASH WASH WASH!! Also keep a bottle of hand sanitizer on your counter for those times when washing may be difficult or if there is a sticky situation with a relative or other visitor. Some people take offense when you ask them to wash their hands, but as someone else stated - it's your child's health. ALSO - I do not know when babies develop certain food allergies, but here's something to consider. My son was fine on normal formula until he was 11 months old. I started mixing cow's milk with his formula to get him used to the difference. He was also eating cheese, yogurt, etc. At 12 months he developed a rash and after a couple weeks his pedi did a blood test and he has a milk allergy!! At 13 months he was hospitalized for croup and again at 16 months. Pedi sent us to allergist and he hasn't had an episode since!! His respitory distress was caused by his allergy. Don't know if that happens to young babies, but.....?
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 11:44 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Breastfeed?
    Banani263

Answer by Banani263 at 3:35 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• wash hands alot and clean/wipe down everything.
    mmyers81

Answer by mmyers81 at 7:50 PM on Jul. 28, 2010