For all of you natural red heads/auburns out there...

How do you keep your hair from getting dingy and dull? My hair is naturally auburn, and I noticed it is getting really dingy, dull and looks more brown than it should. I've been looking for ways to lighten it up, preferably natural ways.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Sounds crazy but use shampoo for gray hair. I use the one made by Pantene Pro-v. I think it works so well because hair gets a red tint before it goes gray.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 11:10 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Lemon juice! Squeeze half a lemon over your head while you're in the shower (after your usual shampoo/conditioner routine), let it sit a minute or two and then rinse. It strips the shampoo/conditioner build up off the hair (which dulls it's shine) and is a natural way to help lighten it subtly.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:11 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• sun light
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 11:14 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I make a paste of baking soda and water and rub it into wet hair. I let it sit for about 5 minutes then rinse and wash as usual. The baking soda gets rid of the build up of hairspray, gels and conditioners. I do this once a month. If you rinse your hair with cool water after washing, it makes the hair shine. I also brew up a few cups of chamomile tea and use it as a final rinse. That makes my strawberry blonde hair sparkle.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 11:17 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I'm a natural redhead and I've never had a problem with my hair looking dull or dingy...????? Is this supposedly a trait with redheads?
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:22 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• use shampoo for colored hair?
    mmyers81

Answer by mmyers81 at 7:48 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I'm a natural red and have never looked dingy either. Though I have noticed in the summertime I get blond highlights from the sun. Maybe your water is hard or the ph balance is off. I would definately switch shampoos. Herbal Essences is always good. Also maybe your hormones are off, that's what causes a lot of hair color change, even for babies. Speaking of, maybe you're preggers?!
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:23 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• No, I'm not preggers, lol. I have extremely hard water, I was just wondering if anyone else had this issue, and what they did about it. =P
    lalalabanana

Answer by lalalabanana at 1:04 PM on Jul. 31, 2010