do you spank your kids when needed or let them be brats

ashleyyoung

Asked by ashleyyoung at 11:16 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Yes I do.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:45 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Spanking is not the only form of disapline. Your two options listed are spank or be "brats" . While I have spanked on occasion, those are not the only two options. There are other ways to disapline. Gotta be smarter than the 4 yr old, ya know?
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 11:22 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I don't think those are the only two choices....
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 11:17 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I am not a fan of spanking a child. When my children misbehaved I would sit them in the corner for a few minutes. When they got older and got into trouble, I would ask them what kind of punishment would fit the 'crime' and my children always picked something much worse then I would do. They would give options like no phone calls, no tv, no gaming systems, etc.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 11:19 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I don't spank at all I have never had to. I deal with my kids naughty behavior in other ways and it works great for us, we have done this from the time they are very little right through till they grow up!
    Truluv4ever

Answer by Truluv4ever at 11:20 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Spanking isn't the only form of dicipline. I have never spanked my 2 year old and she's very well behaved. We do time outs and set firm limits as our dicipline, it doesn't take spanking.

So neither. Jerk.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:32 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• And I generally wouldn't use the word "brat" to describe my child. Very disrepectful. No wonder they don't listen to you.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 11:19 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I have no problem with spanking when it's needed. That said, my daughter has only gotten one in her 5 1/2 years. She's not been spanked in over 2 years and is the farthest from a brat that a kid can be. I'm very proud of my girl!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:20 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I only spanked my kids when they did something that would hurt them such as trying to run into the street. When they were too young to fully comprehend I used tone and a look and then distracted them with something else. After 1 1/2 then I would give them mini time outs. I very seldom yelled, tone and a look seemed to work. I didn't like spanking and I didn't let them be brats either.
    lizard111

Answer by lizard111 at 11:21 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I use the 1 - 2 - 3 method. They both know that if I get to 3, they are going to get a single smack to the butt. I can't even remember the last time I actually had to smack one of them. They have learned that if I start to count, then it is serious business and they fall in line.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 11:27 PM on Jul. 27, 2010