i have a 5 week old baby and she drinks 4 oz. a feeding and i am interesting if im over feeding my baby. she seems like she is always hungry. should i feed her more?

mommyluvstiana

Asked by mommyluvstiana at 11:29 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How does she act right after the feeding? Does she ever turn her head during the feeding or fuss during or fall asleep?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:31 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My baby eats a lot, too. And I've talked to people about that. They tell me that it's ok.
    If she's hungry, and she wants to eat, then feed her. People have told me that you can't overfeed babies. She's probably just growing a lot. Don't worry about it. She'll be fine.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 11:32 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My girl was having 4 oz at a week! But she had a heart rate problem that made her hungry. Not saying yours does. Sorry if I scared you!
    Her doctor told me to let her be the guide. start with the 2 oz and if she's still seeming hungry give another and after that same thing. Just doing 1 extra ounce each time after the first 2. So long as your baby is growing alright and not having stomach problems from it, I would continue if it were my daughter. :-)
    And congrats on the new baby!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:33 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Actually, you can overfeed babies. They can help but swallow and eat if the bottle is pouring down their throats. They will choke if they don't. They also will turn their heads and if you keep giving beyond that, they can ignore their natural full switch and continue to overfeed. But, if she heartily sucks it down, then is content, she is fine. If she downs it and then acts still hungry, you can add an ounce.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:35 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• It's generally said breastfed (and I'm pretty sure it only applies to directly from the breast) babies can't be over fed.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 11:46 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• how offten do you feed her i have to feed my son every hour and he eats 4oz sometimes alittle more thats how his doc wants me to do it now my other son he eats 4oz every 3 hours and is fine
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 11:51 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My baby was eating 4-5 oz about the same time as yours. Babies eat when they're hungry and they'll consume enough milk to their satisfaction. My little boy is now 3 months and he is steady on 6 oz 5 times a day. I thought that was a lot for a 3 month old but his pediatrician said that is perfectly normal for his height and weight. Warning signs to look for if you think she's eating too much is spitting up while burping or immediately after feeding. That means that hertummy can't hold that much milk. Sucking is a natural instinct for babies, so maybe giving her a pacifier (if you give her a pacifier) to give her that satisfaction may be the ticket. And timing when she seems hungry in between feedings. I don't know her height and weight, but knowing that will give you a little more information on how much she should be eating. I hope this helps! :)
    lsmith0504

Answer by lsmith0504 at 2:20 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I'd say, if she is acting still hungry, maybe start feeding her 5 ounces.... and see how she does after that. :)
    Mama2Becks

Answer by Mama2Becks at 4:21 AM on Jul. 28, 2010