Behonest, and you can be anonymous if youd like.

I watched Oprah in my TiVO today it was about the mother that left her daughter in her car for over 8 hours while she was at work. She worked as a vice principal at a school. She didnt get charged with anything, it was not intentional, the mom was stressed out and overhwelmed. Unfortunately the 2 year old passed away. My heart went out to the mother :(... anyway my quesiton is, have any of you moms done anything like leave your child in a car for a few moments FORGETTING they were in there, or forgetting one of your children at home and before you left the house remember, or anything where you were so overwhelmed with everything that you forgot to pay attention to the safety of them? I really would like to hear peoples stories.... your welcome to be anonymous too. :) thanks in advanced for your answers im sure its hard and a little embarassing at the same time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I never did it but when I was 14 years old my dad accidently left my 4 month old little brother in the car during the first hour to hour n half of a church service. My step mother (the babies bio mom) went to the nursery to check on him after sunday school where she thought my dad had dropped him off. They had driven seperately and she was in a ladies meeting when he arrived. When she couldn't find him she flipped (of course ) and ran to the car to see if he was still in there. There he was, screaming his head off - and it was Jan. in the northeast. luckily it was a warmer day and nothing bad happened to him. My dad has NEVER gotten over forgeting his son and she has NEVER let him live it down. But i guess she forgave him -they had a little girl 4 yrs later and still married today.
    mommyof5boys543

Answer by mommyof5boys543 at 1:21 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I can't imagine anyone being that stressed. I have a hectic life; half the time I forget where Iset my keys, my diaper bag, heck where are the friggin baby wipes! LOL

I have yet to forget my children; I am sorry, but parents need to be charged with a criminal act; how self-absorbed can you possibly be to forget your child all together???
    leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 1:26 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• One time my daughter (who is two) somehow managed to open the door and go outside (and close the door). DH and I were exhausted and just watching TV, she normally plays in her room, so we we're too worried. I sent DH to go check on her and she wasn't there, I flipped out, I ran around the house searching for her. I finally went outside and saw her playing in the dog's pool! She could have drowned. I was absolutely terrified, and so mad that I didn't watch her better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• WELL JUST TODAY I DOZED OFF ON THE COUCH, AND MY DAUGHTER MANAGED TO OPEN THE DOOR TO MY BEDROOM (1ST TIME SHE EVER DONE IT ...GUESS SHE LEARNED TODAY.) I HAVE BABY GATES UP AND SHE IS UNABLE TO GET INTO ANYTHING THAT COULD CAUSE HER HARM. WELL, AS SOON AS I HEARD HER IN THE ROOM I WOKE UP, SHE HAS GOTTEN THE CAP OFF OF THE NEW 6 HR ENERGY SHOT SPRAYS. LUCKILY SHE WASNT ABLE TO GET ANY OUT SINCE IT WAS A SPRAY AND SHE ONLY HAD IT FOR A SECOND, BUT GIVEN MORE TIME I'M SURE SHE COULD HAVE BEEN SEVERLY SICK. I'M SURE SHE COULD HAVE DIED TOO. I FEEL HORRIBLE ABOUT DOZING OFF! EVERYBODY MAKES MISTAKES THOUGH, AND EVERYPARENT HAS CLOSE CALLS. I JSUT THANK GOD THAT HE IS WATCHING OVER MY LITTLE ONE WHEN I AM UNABLE TO FOR ONE-REASON-OR-ANOTHER.
    alicia_4307

Answer by alicia_4307 at 1:27 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I watched that too. I havent left him in there for over just a few seconds. Like if i just run into my sisters house who lives in the middle of no where then i will just run in and run out. I do know some one tho who leaves her 3 and 5 year old in the car with her 9 year old to watch them is that bad? I dont see how people could forget about there children i mean when my son is not with me then i feel like i am forgetting something until i return home and have him by my side again. I am so lost without him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I could not see myself frogeting my child let alone children because I am so stressed out, I am a stay at home mother about to have her 4th child in March, I have a lot to deal with on a day to day bases, I have thought that I had more kids then what I really had but I never have frogotten any of them, I think that parents that do such things like that need to either get some mental help or dont need to have kids in the first place. To froget for a sec what is going on, but to froget for a whole 8 hours.... What the heck was wong with that person?? And let alone a 2 year old that you have had in your life for that long. I will never understand. But I think no matter the situation that person should not have a easy way out, they need charged with some thing. It should be considered child abuse or neglect.
    Jessiewith3

Answer by Jessiewith3 at 1:53 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I CONCUR jessiewith3!
    leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 3:06 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I live in a very small town when my children were babies if they were sleeping in the car I would park by the window of the store and the owner/clerk would watch my baby from the window while I got the 1 -2 items I needed. Also If I am shopping now and one of my kids (now 7, 14, 16) aren't with me I have to stop and remind myself "okay this kid is here this kid is here and that kid is there. Whew okay now where are the grapes?" lol
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 4:15 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I have forgotten many things in my years as a parent...but never my kids, and that's the truth of it. In fact, I am the polar opposite. The more stressed I am, the more I want to know precisely where my kids are! And not to be judgmental, but I have never been able to grasp how you forget your child for any amount of time. I just can't wrap my head around it. I've forgotten where I was going, or what I was looking for...I've even made phone calls and forgotten who I was calling in the time it took for them to say Hello...but even when I was coming off anti-depressants and felt like a cattle prod had been embedded in my brain and would walk into the kitchen then forget why I went in there...even then, I always knew were my kids were. Not being arrogant or anything, just telling it like it is.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 4:19 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• alicia 4307: I remember when my daughter first figured out how to get out of her play-pen. My husband and his brother were doing some work in the old house we were renting. The owner asked them to take down a wall that was put up over a doorway, not mentioning that the door was not on it's hinges behind the wall! My daughter (who'd been asleep, and I was in my room changing out of my pajamas) woke up, and got out of her play-pen, then wandered in to see what Daddy was up to (always the Daddy's girl! lol), just as the door fell right out of the doorway. I am talking a 2 1/2 inch thick solid wood door. She was amost out of it's reach, but the very corner of it caughter her above her left eye, right at the hairline.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 4:29 AM on Oct. 3, 2008