How can I get my Kindergartener to wipe her own bottom at school?

My 5 year old daughter knows how to wipe her bottom when she urinates, however she is terrified of wiping herself when she has a bowel movement. I try explaining to her that in less than a month she's going to be having to wipe her own bottom and that Mommy and Daddy are not going to be there to help her out. She doesn't seem to progress at all. I don't know what to do next. Help, please?

gengen8705

Asked by gengen8705 at 11:55 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• This might sound mean, but it's working for me. My son is also 5 and didn't want to wipe his own butt. I explained to him that he had to know how by the time he got to school and told him from now on he was wiping his own butt. The first time he yelled for me I went in, reminded him that he needed to wipe his own butt and told him to come out when he was finished. The first time he sat there for an entire hour...I felt so bad. Then the next time it was 20 min. We are still not there, but every time it get a little shorter! Good luck!
    mommabh3

Answer by mommabh3 at 12:47 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Have you tried the flushable wipes? That helped my son be more aware of cleaning himself. When I quit buying them he was disappointed, but he knew how to do what he needed to get clean. They are like a baby wipe only you can flush them. Everyone makes them - from store brands (walmart and target) up to Charmin and Cottonelle, plus Huggies, Pampers, and such make them too.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 12:00 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• good question. My boy wipes his own and he figured out real quick that if his tush is not clean it is uncomfortable. He just wanted to do it his self one day......good luck! and he is four.......maybe toddler wet wipes
    ambernicole531

Answer by ambernicole531 at 11:58 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I would buy her a little purse and include her very own package of wet wipes. I would explain that since she's a big girl, she'll have to take care of her bottom after using the bathroom! Repeat assistance at home is necessary to reinforce the idea.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 12:03 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My daughter was taught to do that when she was potty trained. I have no idea how to break her of the need for this attention at this stage, she's certainly had time to get accustomed to it and change is difficult.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 12:55 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Glad you asked this. Ds is entering Kindergarten as well, and he won't wipe his butt either.
    JonesMama

Answer by JonesMama at 9:50 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I haven't wiped my girls butts since they last had a BM in a diaper. I just assume they have got the hang of it by now.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:30 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• my DD will only do it with diaper wipes because they dont hurt.
    mamacita4two

Answer by mamacita4two at 12:51 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I like the flushable wipe idea. Continue to encourage and praise her. Maybe offer rewards when she attempts it herself. I would also try to give her teacher the heads up. I know they'll appreciate knowing. Good luck to you both!
    wokingmommy

Answer by wokingmommy at 5:02 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Maybe have her ped talk to her about being a big girl... if it comes from someone other than you then she might listen more.
    terpmama

Answer by terpmama at 10:46 PM on Jul. 28, 2010