What can I do to stop my 4 year old son from biting his nails?

He not only bites his finger nails but his toe nails as well! It is driving me crazy! He hides to do this.

Garnet2

Asked by Garnet2 at 11:58 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my mom suggested putting pepper or lemon juice on his finger tips. Just make sure he does not rub his eyes.
    tayanddyl

Answer by tayanddyl at 11:59 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• There is this liquid that you can rub on his hands called "Thumbs" It has a spicy taste to it so it usually stops them from biting their nails and toe nails.
    Blssdw4

Answer by Blssdw4 at 12:02 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I bought "Thum" for my dd. I got it at a local pharmacy, but I am sure a lot of places sell it. I put it on her nails like a nail polish and it was bitter and spicy. Also for her I rewarded her with painting her nails with MY polish, but hopefully your son would not like that :) lol HEY!! You could tell him you will polish his nails if he DOESN'T stop biting them!! LOL
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 12:05 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My 3.5 yr old also bites his nails, I'm glad you asked this, because I've caught him hiding to bite his toenails too, EWw. I'm going to look for that thumbs stuff, and my son would LOVE for me to color his nails all pretty like mine, it's just his Daddy that wouldn't like it so much, LOL!
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 12:11 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• It sounds cruel, but we used that pepper nail polish on my niece and it totally worked. The look on her face was priceless and that was it!
    nickig199

Answer by nickig199 at 12:19 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• clear nail polish or like someone else said...that thum stuff.
    sweettigeress

Answer by sweettigeress at 7:20 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Lemon juice
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:20 AM on Sep. 14, 2010