Is it the government's job to provide you and your family with health care, dental care, food, housing, etc.?

These are some of the pressing issues of today...and it seems to me in looking at answers I've been reading on here lately that the government should have a more active role in our lives than they already do?....Is this a democracy or are we turning towards a socialist government? What are the limits of the government to the people and what are the responsibilities of the people to take care of themselves?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• No. If people want that they can move to Cuba. They control their people and it really sucks down there. Communism and Socialism are very scary to me but many in our country have moved so far left they want that. I say move somewhere that already has that and leave America alone.

If people would make better life choices and work hard for what they get in life they would have more in life. Then maybe they would not want to take what the hard working people earn from them. I hate that our country is turning into a country of whiners that are dependent on social entitlements like Welfare, WIC, Food Stamps and other programs. It is pathetic.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:55 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I AM SO IN AGREEMENT WITH YOU...PRECISELY THE POINT I WAS TRYING TO MAKE!
    ~~~~~~~~~~STOP GLOBAL WHINING~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I agree as well, love the global whining comment!!
    sybanshee

Answer by sybanshee at 2:20 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• You people are so stupid! if there was a program were we all get heathcare, dental, vision and so on, WE THE PEOPLE would be paying for it through taxes. So what the hell does that have to do with people whinning and being dependent on social entitlements? I, a young mother of three, who was stricken with an illness that I will have for the rest of my life am all for national health, dental and vision. I didnt ask to be sick, and weather I work or not, Insurance it just not affordable. God may have blessed you with a shit load of money to pay for shit like that, BUT HE DIDNT ME!
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 2:42 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• they take my taxes, so they wouldn't be giving nothing. they will be using my hard earn money to pay for my health insurance. works for me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:45 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Have you two anonymous ladies ever been to Cuba? How do you know healthcare isn't better there? What about secondary education as well? You are forgetting that we pay for many of the gov't officials' livings with our taxes. What I don't understand at all is, why wouldn't a government want a society of healthy, educated individuals? Because they can think for themselves, then. That's why.
    greenfairy9

Answer by greenfairy9 at 2:52 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Ask Canada what they think of their "free Health-care" system. Their taxes outrageous.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:10 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• soonmommyof3... calm down, geez!
    You wouldnt want socialized medicine so bad if you knew some basic facts about it. Under socialized medicine, you would wait months for a doctors appointment, and since you have an illness that probably requires a specialist, expect to wait another year or more to see one. Socialized medicine pays doctors very little, and so, we would lose some of the ambition in new doctors to excel, because it wouldnt make them any more money. In some countries that have had socialized medicine for generations, the doctors make so little, that you are required to TIP your doctors and nurses! This is all true... look it up for yourself. Trust me, you do not want socialized medicine in this country; You would be signing your rights away.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 3:18 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Obama plan is to make health care affordable. So depending on what you make you is what you pay for insurance. In Massachussetts health care is mandatory. but you pay according to what you make. guess what no one waits months for a doctor's appointment. I pay little because I make little. I see my doctor as does my son whenever we need to. I ahve no complaints. My friends live in canada and they have no complaints with their insurance either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:29 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• No, it's not the government's job to provide these things! In fact, I don't want the government providing me these things. We don't even participate in govt programs that we can qualify for now. Whoever pays for you also controls you. People who don't want to get up and do for themselves are the ones who are running behind Obama yelling "Messiah". They think he's got some magical answer because he promises them more govt that will provide everything they need - including hope. Just one BIG problem with that - who do you think pays for govt in this country? Obama? Is he going to fund all of this? No. In fact, he plans to raise your taxes to fund your hope. Most countries in this world have taxes under 15%. Obama would raise ours to 39% and more depending on income.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 3:32 AM on Oct. 3, 2008