diaper rash, DD cries when poops.. what to do..

my DD has a real bad diaper rash and she cries everytime she poops. Lately, she's been pooping several times a day with each time being a tiny nugget.... is she constipated? I tried baby powder and penaten... what else can i do to help her?

urban_baybee

Asked by urban_baybee at 12:13 AM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try some Extra Strength Destin and maybe some more green veggies to help her out.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 12:15 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• baby powder is actually not good, because it's really bad for them to inhale and it's very easy since the particles are so small, even if you're careful. I would suggest getting some A&D ointment. I've never heard of penaten, maybe you live in a different area than I do? anyway, try some A&D ointment, or some desitin, something to use as a good barrier, so that when she poops, it doesn't sit on her skin, and so that it's easy to clean off her skin without having to rub that sore rash much to get her clean. How long has it been there? If it's been a while, you may want to have her pediatrician look at it, sometimes it's yeast which will not clear up with normal diaper rash cream. As for the constipation, it does sound like she's a bit constipated if she's struggling and only pooping dry small nugget type poops. Try giving 2-4oz of warm pear juice, or apple. Prune works, but can cause cramping in little ones, so not recommended.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 12:19 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• cornstarch works the best and she only doing small poop try given her chocolate bar it will make it easyer
    yes cornstarch does all five of my kids have had dd rash
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 12:25 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• The best thing for diaper rash is AIR. The bottom needs to breath. Modern disposables don't let air in there. Cloth is better, but at the very least air her out. No powders, no lotions, no creams (a lot of them burn!) leave it alone.

as for the constipation is she formula fed? How old? are you feeding her anything other than formula/breastmilk? More info needed.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:15 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Today's the 3rd day she's had the rash. Last night, she woke up twice crying and pooping little bits. She's breastfed and we've started her on solids since 6 months. She's almost 8 months now. Now I think it's the rice cereal we've been giving her.. so we're stopping that and just giving her pears, breast milk, apple juice and will try some prune juice later too...
    urban_baybee

Comment by urban_baybee (original poster) at 1:57 PM on Jul. 28, 2010