If you had an almost one year old child that did nothing but scream just to hear herself in the store while you, the mother, carried her what would you do? this was very annoying and they went every where I went?

there was also no phyisical issues with the child. the mother just kept saying you don't need to scream.

gammiej

Asked by gammiej at 12:29 AM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Like screaming for fun? Wow that would get annoying for sure.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:32 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Is this your child or someone else's child? If it's your child, I would just be patient and realize that this is a phase that the child will eventually get over and bring LOTS of things to distract the child, snacks, toys, whatever will do the trick!

If it is someone else's child, just be glad you don't have to take them home! :) They all do silly things like this and if the mother is just trying to get through her shopping trip, she already knows that her child is being loud, just ignore it!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 12:33 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Maybe turn and say "is she ok?" and like "it hurt my ears but If she's not hurt..."
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:33 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• You don't know for sure there was not physical issues with the child, they may not have been visibly obvious, but there could be a problem.

I would feel bad for the kid that the mom cares more about whatever she went to the store for than her baby.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:33 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Wel...duhhh...she should have just left the store instead of saying "there is no reason to scream". How dumb. Kids learn to stop the tantrums when they see that Mommy will just leave and go home everytime. It drives me nuts.
    I had three kids....they didn't do tantrums. They were relaxed happy and normal.Thank goodness.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:39 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• OH my SleepingBeautee....not everyone drops everything the second their child makes a peep. Some kids go through this. I would feel bad for the mom since she already knows and is trying to be as sweet without beating the crap out of the child in the store for screaming. It is annoying, but that is the risk you take when you step out of your house.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 12:40 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• just something I observed in the store last night and was curious to see how others would deal with it...There was nothing wrong with the child she was with two other older siblings and her mother. The mother was speaking to all of the children even her when she was not screaming. It appeared to be a scream when the mother was not paying attention to her or just a scream to scream, I would certainly never condone a person beating any child for any reason. Learning acceptable behavior I would expect. If this mothers wants her child to be annoying more power to her, she has to deal with the screaming, I can certainly go home and not hear it. Like I said I was just curious and no I did nothing but my shoping and went home...glad that my children did not act that way in the store..not even at age one.
    gammiej

Comment by gammiej (original poster) at 12:57 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• MommaRoberts... she walked around the store for an HOUR telling the kid not to cry... somehow I concluded her sopping was more important than her baby being unhappy... Hmmm... I wonder how I could have concluded that? I can see if it is important a few extra minutes staying in the store, but an full hour... come on!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:10 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• sometimes my daughter will throw her tantrums in a store, I refuse to leave because she wants to be a brat. This is a public place and if other people dont want to hear her they can go some place else. When we do get home she goes to her room and if she's really bad (gasp) she get's a spanking, she is three and knows better.
    mzprincessreina

Answer by mzprincessreina at 2:54 AM on Aug. 7, 2010