At what point does "fashionably late" become just plain rude?

I had plans today (my day off) with a friend at 12:30. She called every half an hour to say she was 'almost there' and finally showed up at 3.30. (I normally get off at 4:00 BTW.) I was irritated that I wasted my day off waiting for her and told her so and she said I was making a big deal out of nothing bc "(I) KNOW she is always fashionably late!"

Niki_sd

Asked by Niki_sd at 12:36 AM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Crazy for Credits

• Fashionably late applies to things like prom, or bbq's or reunions....Not lunch dates with friends, weddings, funerals, etc. Sometimes there is nothing "fashionable" about it. I think it was very rude of her.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 12:40 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• wow that was way rude and way lateee!!
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:37 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Anything more than 10-15 minutes is rude.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:38 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• 10-15 minutes is the cutoff. I do think that anything is rude but anything beyond that is just appalling.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:41 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Anything beyond a few minutes is rude in my opinion. I'm a stickler for being on time!
    ta2dirishlass

Answer by ta2dirishlass at 12:38 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I would be pissed. I hate waiting on people, I would explain to her that you had other things to get done on your day off but because she is a great friend and you had plans that you didn't enjoy waiting on her. Lesson learned, though some people as much as you wish you could change them, you can't.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 12:38 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• more than 20 minutes is unacceptable. And that is only in a pinch and if you call. This fashionably late business is bull shit and just an excuse to be a lazy asshat.

I would have left without her. My sister does this crap all the time, nobody's time is valuable but her own. I just stopped doing things with her that I had to wait on her for. Now I say I will meet you at such time and then go about my business if she doesn't show. Friends like that are toxic and are not worth your time!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:39 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• i would not wait on anyone past 30 minutes
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:40 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I don't even do fashionably late. I am always early or on time and I can't stand to wait on someone else. We are a very busy family. My time is valuable.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 12:37 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• fifteen minutes.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:41 AM on Jul. 28, 2010