IUD questions

I've been thinking of what form of birth control I should use after I have my baby (since the pill obviously wasn't effective). My doctor told me the most effective form of BC is having an IUD put in. But I've read that it can cause some pretty serious complications in some cases. Also, I've know several girls who have gotten pregnant with an IUD in. For those of you who have, or have had, an IUD, what do (did) you think of it? Is it effective? Safe?

LuvMySavage

Asked by LuvMySavage at 12:41 AM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Health

• Paragaurd all the way, I have had both and Mirena made me gain weight and made it very hard to concieve our second child since I too had issues with the pill working!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 12:42 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I had Mirena, and was part of that 1% and got a PID. Its been 4 months since its been out and I am still dealing with it. The entire time it was in it was painful and sex was so uncomfortable. :(
    misunderstood1

Answer by misunderstood1 at 12:49 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Yes, IUDs can have very serious health side effects. My doctor suggested I get one, too, and I passed after doing some outside research and finding out about all the side effects, some of which are quite scary. My suggestion is to do all the research you can on all the different forms of birth control out there and then you'll be able to make an informed, educated decision on what form is best for you.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:44 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I did a TON of research on the Mirena (the only IUD my OB/GYN would order for patients) and found nothing bad except the normal BC side effects, so I got it. BIGGEST MISTAKE of my life! I had a horrible experience with it. If you want more info about the Mirena specifically and the potential side effects, PM me and I'll send you a link to the journal I wrote about it which has some links in it. I won't go into details here because A) TMI lol, and B) it's long.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 4:23 AM on Aug. 17, 2010