How do you organize your kid's toys?

The toy situation has gotten out of hand! I used to be able to just rotate out toys but now there just doesn't seem to be enough room.
So what have you done? Limit toys and secretly get rid of them or just find away to store & continue to rotate them out until he's older & I can get rid of them?
My son is 3 almost 4 & the baby toys are already OUT!

Carey2006

Asked by Carey2006 at 12:45 AM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Home & Garden

• We send the kids to grandmas and have a yard sale.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:46 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Toy box, drawers, shelves, and bins. He also has a storage trundle under his bed.

You can always put some away for a few months and then switch them out.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 12:48 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My son is only 18 months and we haven't really had to get rid of much yet. I always keep books separate from toys - hubby and I are both readers and I work at a library, so in our house, books are to be respected and not dumped in with toys :) I have a bin in his room, bin in our room, and bin in the living room. If I notice he isn't playing with something much, I will take it and hide it in his closet for a while.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 12:48 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• we have donated lots of toys to child care centers and we have lots of shelves and organizational tub shelves. our problem is the art and crafts stuff more then the toys
    chris13

Answer by chris13 at 12:53 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• If you have the room to rotate 3 lots of toys instead of two then do that. I think the only way you will know which ones he doesn't care to play with anymore is to have them all out for a while so the newness wears off of whatever you bring back out. This way you can see what he wouldn't mind getting rid of. Do you think he is able to tell you what he doesn't mind you getting rid of? I don't think my daughter who is about the same age would be able to do that, she would want everything. LOL
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 12:58 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Our two youngest are having a birthday party Saturday, so tomorrow they're going to Grandma's so I can clear out the junk. The older of the two will be 9, she's pretty good about getting rid of stuff (when I'm working with her). There's a secondhand store in our town and she'll donate it to them.
    The 2 YO, on the other hand - if it's broken/ripped/partially chewed it's going in the trash. Unless it's a car, truck, train, airplane or book he won't even notice.
    Other than that, organize = throw into nearest toybox! I used to organize toys for our oldest (now 16 YO) but I was much younger then and had alot more energy! Besides, the effort was wasted as soon as he saw it - he was compelled to dig into the "car box" to find the crayons that were sitting on his desk. We called it "taking inventory".
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 6:58 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• We go through his toys and decide what to get rid of, because i think its good that he learns how to get rid of the things he no longer likes or wants. However I do on occasion go through his toys (like while he is in the other room) to get rid of some of the ones I KNOW he doesn't play with, because if I did it infront of him he would INSIST that he wants it now and will play with it.

Oh yea... he is 3.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 5:24 PM on Jul. 28, 2010