A baby gift.

I want to buy a sterling silver double handled mug for my great nephew who is due on August 5th. They are telling nobody what the child's name is until after he is born. The company said it would cost $20 to engrave the child's name and date of birth. Would it be TACKY to send the $20 with the un-engraved baby cup so the parents can get it engraved as they see fit? I would hate to get the name spelled wrong. Any ideas?

Joeygoat

Asked by Joeygoat at 1:06 AM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes wait, it will mean more to the parents to have his name engraved on it already, BEST gift i recieved for my 1st dd was a special frame with my daughter's name and birth date/info on it from my aunt! :)
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 1:14 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Maybe you could wait and give it as a gift after the baby is born?
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:08 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• i agree with the previous poster just wait and have it done after the baby is born. They probably wont get it done for a long time if ever because of too many thing going on.
    calilove33

Answer by calilove33 at 1:09 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I agree, someone gave me a plate to engrave my sons birth info on it. He is 4 months old and I don't foresee it getting done any time soon. Busy busy!
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 1:12 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Definately don't send the $ and the gift and expect them to do it... it will likely never happen since they will be busy with a newborn and a ton of other new 'gifts' to store.

I suggest you send a shower gift from their registry, a gift card or money.. then save this 'special gift' for Christmas, 1st birthday, Christening... or any other occasion of your choice. Sending a nice gift is welcome anytime... don't pressure yourself to have to have it for the shower.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 2:36 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I agree. Wait until he is born and get it engraved yourself before you give it to them.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:05 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Okay, I will wait until I get the birth announcement card and picture. I will confirm the spelling with my niece. I have already given them my gifts for the baby. I helped to buy the nursery furniture and for her shower I sent her 8 crib sheets. This silver cup is just one of those "I love to spoil" my family gifts. You see, my children do not want children of their own, so I have to get my Grandmother genes satisfied by helping nieces and nephews with baby gifts. If it was a girl, I was going to buy one of those heirloom hand made handkerchiefs that is made into a Christening Bonnet and then when she gets married, you undo the stitches and she could carry it on her Wedding Day.  Thanks all for the input.

Joeygoat

Comment by Joeygoat (original poster) at 11:25 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• One of the best gifts my son got was a savings bond. It is a great idea because it is something he will forsure use!!
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 2:12 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• We got baby gifts months after our baby was born, so you'll be fine waiting.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:36 PM on Jul. 28, 2010