How do you part with emotional 'stuff'?

I've inherited a LOT of items from various family members who had died. Most of it is in boxes. It's like an emotional landmine to go thru everything, let alone the thought of parting with ANYTHING. Everything has a story. I have been trying to give some of it away to other family members or friends of the departed family's friends. But when it comes to the thought of selling or throwing stuff away, I just can't. It's like losing them all over again. Any suggestions?

Carey2006

Asked by Carey2006 at 1:09 AM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Home & Garden

• You have to be in the right frame of mind to do it - it is hard. You are not ready, so let it be until you are.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 1:10 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• maybe take a picture of it and write some thing on the back a memory maybe. Then put all the pictures with a memory on the back in a nice box so you can look back when you want/need to.
    calilove33

Answer by calilove33 at 1:11 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I haven't yet
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 1:12 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Unless you are ready then it will be difficult.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 1:13 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• It has almost been 5 years...I'm not sure I'll ever be ready..... = )
    That's a great idea calilove33!!! Thank you! (now I wished I would have done it earlier, before I gave some things away)
    Carey2006

Comment by Carey2006 (original poster) at 1:13 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My grandmother recently passed away and she was a hoarder. I think that alone prevents me from ever holding on to thing I don't use/look at. As it is proving to be a nightmare to go through so much stuff. I think it is important to remember that although they seem like important items, they are just objects. The person you remember and love will always exist in your thoughts and memories, you don't need stuff to remember them. That said it is hard and emotional so maybe wait it out a while longer.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 1:17 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• You should keep your stuff. I would, even though I really don't have the space. Some of us are just savers, we can't throw certain things away, especially sentimental things and why should we! Now, if it gets to the point of being a candidate for that "hoarders" show, well, its time for a bigger house :-)
    Iluvautumn

Answer by Iluvautumn at 1:20 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Put it on EBay - be brutal. Do you really need all of those things? You should listen to George Carlin's monologue re "stuff."
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:33 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• LOL...George Carlin, yes I have and we do actually have a storage unit filled with MORE STUFF...LOL
    (My hubby has loss a lot of family members as well.)
    No, it's not as bad as hoarders...LOL
    Carey2006

Comment by Carey2006 (original poster) at 1:39 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Things are not people or their memories. Pick a few special things and sell or donate the rest.

If you can't yet, wait 6 months and try again. Do this over and over until you can do it. The "stuff" will become a burden to you until you take care of it.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 2:32 AM on Jul. 28, 2010