Why are women so catty?

Do you think it is just women that are catty or are men too and we just don't notice it? Does this help or hinder our position in the world?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I think men are, too, but women are very competitive with one another, so it stand out more. I don't think we notice it as much with men, because we don't hold them to our standard. Also, because women are more forgiving of men. We accept their flaws. Men seem to strive for perfection in their mate, in some strange social way. We can't fully understand them. We are so magical, though, we women. We have the power to grow life inside of us. That alone should provide us with the knowledge that the Creator, or God (whichever name you prefer), has blessed women with a special gift. Not to mention the many others.
    greenfairy9

Answer by greenfairy9 at 2:47 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I think it's called tenaciousness or ambitiousness in men, and cattyness and/or bitchiness in women. Some people can't handle that we won't sit down and shut up like good little girls.

brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 3:47 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I find it funny that when men challenge each other they are called competitive. when women challeng each other we are call catty.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:52 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I agree with greefairy 9. Women do tend to be highly competitive, for better or worse.
    I also think that men can be just as catty (it's not really apt to call a man catty). They are just as likely to argue over petty and stupid details but men also tend to roll with the insults a little better than women. Women are naturally more emotional (this can be a GOOD thing) than men so we sometimes dwell longer on why someone is acting catty rather than moving on. Men just don't care that much.
    Both sexes have inherent traits that are different but complimentary. Forget double standards. We both benefit from our positions (in debating!). It's not a competition with the men, ladies ;) Men are great. I miss debating with men sometimes.
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 6:21 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I think both are very competitive. Women and men handle it differently. Women are more emotional about it and need to discuss it more than the men. The men can be brawling one minute, then drinking with each other the next. Unfortunately, most women cannot do the same. This is a problem.
    akhlass

Answer by akhlass at 8:10 AM on Oct. 3, 2008