Ok moms, I need your help!Baby daddy needs to be edjucated!

Well the father of my child thinks you mothers have NO idea what your talking about, because every question I need answered I ask you ladies! and I TRUST you guys...

So right now I said I am DONE giving my 2 month old any type of water because of reading some of your answeres to another question!

And he said those ladies are idiots they dont know what they are talking about!

This coming from 1st time pops!

HELP TELL HIM HOW BAD WATER IS FOR OUR SON

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• where are your other questions? I didn't know water is bad, you use it to mix formula, unless of course you are breastfeeding
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 2:02 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/maryland/doctor/blog/2008/05/too_much_water_bad_for_babies.html Cute and past this website into address bar. It tells why excess water is bad for infants.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 2:05 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Babies need extra fluids in the hot weather, but straight water is not one of them," says pediatrician Allen Walker, M.D., head of the Emergency Department at Johns Hopkins Children's. "Too much water can disrupt the delicate balance in a baby's body, leading to water intoxication." Too much water dilutes sodium in the blood and flushes it out of the body, thus altering brain activity, which can lead to a seizure. Babies under a year old may be more prone to seizures because a young infant's diet does not contain enough food sources to replenish the lost sodium. Also, an infant's immature kidneys cannot flush out excess water fast enough, causing a dangerous buildup of water in the body. Breast milk and formula are the best way to keep a child under a year old well-hydrated. Straight water should be avoided. Over-diluted formula can lead to water intoxication as well.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 2:06 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Electrolyte-enriched pediatric drinks are not recommended for routine hydration. Symptoms of water intoxication in an infant include: * changes in mental status, unusual irritability or drowsiness * low body temperature, usually 97 degrees or less * facial swelling or puffiness * seizures The risk is highest among children who are already dehydrated, typically after a bout with viral or bacterial infections that cause vomiting and diarrhea.
    Southerncharmes

• oh, I knew you weren't supposed to I just didn't know why. Thanks so much (by the way I have not done this)
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 2:08 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I need to say that limited amounts of water is fine. But it's when you are giving your infant excessive amounts of water is where the imbalance comes in. Water itself is NOT bad but you should really regulate how much you give your infant right now. I would not be giving him/her several bottles a day of plain water.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 2:13 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• One more post and I'll stop. LOL Even adults can die from water intoxication. If an adult drinks excessive amounts of water such as several gallons within a short period of time the body organs (Kidney, heart, lungs) can not process it quick enough and you can die within hours. It is rare (in adults) but it does happen. I worked at and ER and we had a young lady in her 20's to die from water intoxication. It's real and it happens to adults AND infants.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 2:23 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• The baby's little kidneys aren't developed enough to handle ANY water until 6 months old because it is too diluted and will flush sodium out of their system.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:47 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I've read on here you can give them water at 6 mo. but my DD had a cold a couple weeks ago and wasn't eating much so I was worried about her getting dehydrated. When I asked the doc if I should give her water they told me that they don't suggest giving a baby water until they're a year old. They told me to dilute clear juice (apple or pear) with a bit of breastmilk or formula for her.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 10:20 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• depending on the age of your son, you can give him water, but its mostly as a laxative. Babies dont need water, due to the fact it has no nutritional value. To much water will also give your baby a water seizure, and that is not a fun one to explain to an ER Nurse. have him read this article, or he can call my pediatrician. Or get him baby 411, its the book we got when we found out we were pregnant. Helped us out so much. http://swampie.wordpress.com/2008/06/08/too-much-water-raises-seizure-risk-in-babies/ Good luck, if you are breastfeeding your baby is getting plenty of water thru that.. but tell him he runs the risk in killing her if to much water is given.
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 11:09 PM on Oct. 6, 2008