when can i shave my son's head?

my son is about 4 months old & is getting really sweaty from the summer heat. i'd like to give him a haircut but i'm kind of hesitant. i'm not trying to make him skin bald, just enough to cool him off this summer. but i have concerns about hurting his soft spot or cutting his soft skin. when is it safe or recommended to give a baby his first hair cut? and would it be safer to use home buzzers or just go to a barbershop? thanks in advance!

rAbella

Asked by rAbella at 2:40 AM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can do it anytime!!

the soft spot stays until about age 2 and many kids get hair cuts before then. so do whatever youd like!!

try taking him to a prof cutters place and its cute then u can get some pics of him in the chair and stuff :)
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:42 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• from what i know heat is released most from the head. my boyfriends brothers ex shaved their very young child - under 6 months. he is just fine. no body liked it so i would prepare yourself to catch some poop from others. but its your baby. i am going to take my son to get his hair cut soon. something close to a shave
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 2:43 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• i shaved my sons head at home with the same type of clippers they would use at a barber a few months ago and he just turned 2 last week. I was shaving my SO head and he suggested we shave Rhett's too and I had no problem with it. He looked super cute and it has totally grown back by now, he loved it! But your baby is younger, may be a bit different. It's up to you (your the mom)!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:51 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Some countries keep the head shaved for the first year, boy or girl. It thickens the hair quicker.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 3:01 AM on Jul. 28, 2010