Getting Eloped? Hitched?

We are thinking of eloping in a court house and then having an after party instead of the formal/typical wedding.

We're thinking of just renting a hotel suite or a lobby at a nice hotel to have fun
Not doing dinner or anything but, cocktails, appetizers, and drinks going around the room instead. (His cousin is leading this, she is in culinary school and we will be going over dishes soon)

I was thinking of having it mid/late evening, maybe 6p on....should I serve a light meal? or change the time to a later time? Ideas?

also...should I invite some RUDE people from DH's side? He wants them to come because they are family, I'd rather not, but I don't want to make a big deal over something trivial...

advice, ideas on how to make this a nice sophisticated party?

Should I make this a childless party? or Have on site childcare, like pay my sis, a teen, to watch them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:52 AM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Relationships

• Here's my opinion: DH & I got married @ our house, me, him & the officiant (we don't have to have a witness in our state). It was the best wedding I've ever been to! We got to do it our way w/out hearing shit from either side about food or colors or whatever. If I had to go back & do it again I'd do it the same way! Now for yours, go to the justice of the peace & save your $! I think 6 on is fine, maybe in the invitation put something like "appetizers & drinks will be served" so ppl will know not to expect a full meal. You should invite whoever the 2 of you want there to share your special day. If hubby wants them there suck it up & invite them. I'd have my hubby talk to them ahead of time & address whatever rude issues there were so they don't ruin it. Parents, like me, want to bring their kids, offer babysitting on site. I'm BF so I can't just leave her w/ a sitter, I can go into the other room & feed her. Enjoy!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:04 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Depending on where you live, you could have your wedding outside at a nice public place.... maybe a park or a flower garden (depends on where you live). You can find someone to officiate the wedding for minimal costs and it will be a beautiful ceremony. You don't have to have a ton of people in the wedding, just a best man and a maid of honor. Just a thought.....
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 5:28 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Both good answers, took my ideas right out of my mind :)
    Madame_Ice3000

Answer by Madame_Ice3000 at 9:09 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My only suggestion is if you are renting somewhere to have your party, opt for doing it on a Sunday or even a weekday rather than a Saturday. Many places offer cheaper fees on non-Saturday days.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 11:35 AM on Jul. 28, 2010