is it ok to give a toddler low fat milk ?

not all the time, only a few times in case you are out of regular full fat milk?

mommy_sam

Asked by mommy_sam at 4:33 AM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think it's fine. How old is the child?
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 4:41 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Our Dr had us switch to 2:% when the kids turned to 1...and they are very healthy!
    wyandmimismom

Answer by wyandmimismom at 4:50 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• he's 2 and 5 months

mommy_sam

Comment by mommy_sam (original poster) at 4:52 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I think it's fine. We give our daughter 2% because our Dr said that we didn't have to give her whole milk now. She is also 2 1/2. You can check with your Dr if you like. Basically, they all have different opinions on it.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 5:08 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• When we were on WIC and my daughter turned 2 they only gave us vouchers for 2% milk because the whole milk can make them "obese" they said they only give whole milk after the turn 1 and they continue it if the child is under weight if not then they give low fat milk. I'm sure its fine as long as shes at a good weight, and you said you don't do it all the time only when you run out of whole milk. I'd keep giving her what your giving her till you see or talk to your doctor unless your comfortable switching her to low fat milk completely.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 6:10 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I give our 2 yo powdered skim milk when we're running around, but 2% when we're home. He would drink milk constantly if I let him, and carrying a ziploc baggie of powdered milk and bottled water for his sippy cup is alot easier than trying to keep regular milk cold. He's at the perfect weight for his height, the doc said that was fine as long as I didn't replace all of his milk with powdered skim.
    Plus, the more regular milk I gave him, the less food he would eat. the powdered doesn't fill him up like regular milk (I mix it light also, maybe 2 T powder to 6-8 oz water, enough to taste like milk but just barely) so his eating is good also.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 6:42 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• That is totally fine...actually sometimes doc recommend it if they think they might become obese. My son drinks 2% OR 1%, and he is almost 3.
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 7:16 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Sure. My kids all drink skim when I run out of whole milk - they are 1, 3, and 4.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:57 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• once in a while is fine.

and like said above, if your child is on the heavy side, drs will recommend it.
    Some states' WIC programs now give out only 2% for kids over 2.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 8:44 AM on Jul. 28, 2010