7 weeks? sleeping threw night?

What can i do to help my daughter sleep more at night?
I dont mind waking up with her but id love to have her sleep longer
shes 7 weeks old

Mommy2be6810

Asked by Mommy2be6810 at 5:10 AM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Both of my children were still eating every 3 or 4 hours at that age, so I'm not sure if she will sleep longer than 5 hours. Good luck though! I know the first weeks are tough!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 5:16 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• yeah she wakes up about 3-4 hours
    its tough but so worth it...
    when she was first born she would sleep mostly all day and be up all night so im glad she finally switched herself to sleeping at night and mostly up all day
    now i gotta switch myself back lol
    thanks!
    Mommy2be6810

Comment by Mommy2be6810 (original poster) at 5:18 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I have a 10 month old and a 2 1/2 year old and they are currently on opposite schedules. I've been only getting 4 or 5 hours of sleep each day and I'm exhausted! LOL
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 5:21 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Sorry to burst your bubble but at 7 weeks old your baby needs to be waking up every 3 hrs or so. It is a bad idea to let your very young baby sleep to long and miss on feedings. At around 4 to 6 mtgs us when that's ok but I'm sorry it's just too soon. Unfortunately every mother has to deal with this so just keep doing what your doing and just know in a few more mths it will be different.
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 5:44 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Your baby does NOT HAVE TO be waking up every 3 hrs like the pp said, but at 7 weeks it would be a miracle if your LO slept through the night. I was around 3 months exactly that all four of mine started sleeping through the night. Three of them started sucking their thumbs around that time which really helped! GL Mommy, it won't be long, but for now just sleep when the baby sleeps.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 6:11 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My oldest child didn't sleep thru the night until he was 4 years old. My youngest slept thru the night at 5 weeks old. And by sleeping thru the night, I mean from 10pm to 5am. It scared the tar out of me at first. I panicked and called my mom that he was sleeping that long. She said that for some babies that's normal as my sister and I both started sleeping thru the night that young. I wish I could give you advice on how this happened, but I didn't do anything different. I gave him a baby massage, then fed him, then laid him down. I also did not jump up and disturb him to check on every little noise he made. If I heard him, I just let it go to see if he was going to be ok and most times he was just making little noises and he was fine.
    As for missing feedings, my pediatrician said that missing a night feeding was fine as long as he was eating well during the day. He is 14 months old and thriving.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:23 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• You DONT have to wake her up, she will wake up when she is hungry. Still, there isn't much you can do besides make sure she is clean, dry, and full. Other than that, try some noise, like white noise CD's, music, or anything like that. It really helped my kids sleep better.
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 7:12 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Five hours is considered a sleep through. The VAST majority of babies wake every 3-4 hours on average for needed feeds and/or peeing. They wake more during growth spurts, teething, and new milestones. In the first year, sleep patterns change a lot and a baby may sleep a long stretch one week during a growth spurt and the next wake frequently. All normal. Sleep patterns don't really settle into a more mature pattern until age three or four. Some babies sleep a lot in the first half of the year, but end up waking more later. There is nothing "bad" about a baby that doesn't sleep long stretches of more than four to six hours...they aren't bad sleepers as some say. They are quite normal. It's actually we adults who have forgotten how to sleep effectively because we watch the clock too much. In fact, we adults wake a night at least once even if we don't remember. babies eat a lot round the clock for a reason.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:12 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• We co-sleep and i learned to nurse lying down. I get far more sleep because i don't have to get out of bed as much. its easier for us to adapt because we are growing bodies and brains so rapidly!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:16 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Her sleep pattern is dead on target for the age. Nothing a parent does can make a baby sleep; only the need for more sleep makes baby sleep.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:04 PM on Jul. 28, 2010