Seperation anxiety or something else?

My little girl will be 2 tomorrow. My husband just started a job where he is gone for 2 weeks at a time and home for 2 weeks. This is his first trip up there and we are only half way through his stay. My daughter just started giving me a hard time going to sleep. The first night she was wanting to wash her hands! She ended up sleeping with me for 2 nights (and that NEVER happens!!!) Then last night she slept in her own bed just fine, and now again tonight she cried and pleaded with me for an hour and a half. If it is seperation anxiety, what do I do?

LaBoucane

Asked by LaBoucane at 2:42 AM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I was in a similar situation when my daughter was younger. Reason why, I had my baby's crib inside my bedroom. Then when she was bigger (and didn't roll around), I allowed her to sleep with me (big mistake). When I would rock her to sleep in her own room, she would wake up and crawl into bed with me in my room. Eventually I had to be firm with her. Yes she cried. It was hard.

If your daugher is experiencing separation anxiety, maybe allow her to sleep with you for security (during the first two nights or so). But eventually, the habit has to be broken.

This question really pulls on my heart strings. I hope the best for you and your daughter.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 3:19 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I dont want her to sleep with me because it will be hard on her and I to break that habit! I have been very lucky to not have to deal with that!! I put my husbands pillow in her crib and gave her an old phone to sleep with hoping that would help her sleep knowing that he is just a phone call away. It tears me up to hear her cry.
    LaBoucane

Answer by LaBoucane at 3:23 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Soft ambient music of her liking
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 2:42 AM on Oct. 5, 2008