do you think your parenting method is the best?

do you think that your parenting method is the best you can give to your children? would you change anything about it if you could?

mommy_sam

Asked by mommy_sam at 6:18 AM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I think I provide a good foundation for my children and give them love and guidance. But I am not always the best parent I could be every second of the day. I just try my hardest and give all I have to give.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 1:40 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Is it the best ever? NO nobodies is. Is it the best I can give at this time? Yes but there is always room for improvement in the future,
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:43 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I think the concept of a "parenting method" or "parenting style" is flawed. Unless you're someone who likes to set impossible expectations, you cannot plan ahead for things that way. Every child is different, every child's thought process and response to similar situations is different. To compare your mythical "style" to someone else's equally fluid "method" is an exercise in futility.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:40 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I think that how I parent my children is what is best for me. Not everyone can pull off every parenting style. You need to find a style that suites your personality. I can offer someone else suggestions on what works for me, but I do not harass them for what they are doing because they are different people and might not be comfortable on doing what I do. kwim?
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:25 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I parent the way my parents raised me (with loving understanding but my god you had better not cross that line!). Seems to work here, all 3 kids are pretty well adjusted and my 16 YO knows he can come to me with just about any problem (I don't automatically take his side all the time and he knows it, especially if it's a problem at school - I tell him he's going to run into jacka**es all through life and this is a good way to learn to deal with it).
    When they get too out of hand, I threaten them with Grandma Nana (my mom). That works wonders because I tell them that I'm afraid of pissing her off, even though I'm almost 40. Nana wouldn't hesitate to drop the hammer on any of her children if they got out of hand. :-) The rest of the time it's all hugs and kisses and attention.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 6:52 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I'm sure i have room for improvement as most people do. But i am happy with the way DD is being raised. She is so open minded & sweet, i must have done something right.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:16 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Yes, I do. It's changing a little according to his age, but I do everything possible to raise my son the best that I can.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:34 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I think we're doing what's best for our family to the best of our ability.  I wish there was less yelling in the house but it's gotten to the point that if we're not yelling they aren't listening.  If you just ask them to do anything in a normal voice they just ignore you until you are yelling.  But we're working on it.  We plan to do some counseling once we are settled in our new home and try and work out some issues in the family.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:35 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I don't think one method is best, it depends on the child and the age. LOL, and the situation! Of course I would do things differently, I lose my cool. But I do the best I can, I'm human. But I love my kids, and they know that. There is no lack of discipline or love in our home.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 10:39 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Our (hubby and I) parenting style work for us and our children.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:08 PM on Jul. 28, 2010