Sleeping through the night strategies

Need help getting my 10 month old to sleep. We have a nice routine and he is sleepy when I put him down in his crib. But he stands up and yells and yells. I go in and comfort him but he still yells. How can I get him to sleep? Then he gets up ever 3 or 4 hours still (he is breastfed) how often does your 10 month old get up? Thanks!

maggiebella25

Asked by maggiebella25 at 7:22 AM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is why I was co sleeping @ this age. Try putting a stuffed animal dressed in a tee shirt you've worn for a couple of days in his crib, gives him something to snuggle & smells like you. I'd put my dd to bed w/ me & when she fell asleep transfer her to her crib. BF babies need more to eat than FF babies, he may be going thru a growth spurt or teething & need the extra nutrition. Hang in there mamma, it gets better as they get older.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 7:37 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I always nursed my kids to sleep at that age, and kept them in bed with me so that I could nurse them as needed during the night with little disruption to my sleep. Have you tried nursing him to sleep, waiting for him to be sound asleep then laying him down? That always worked really well for me. I still do that with my 13 mo old.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:00 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My kids never had an issue with going to bed. My first started sleeping through the night (12 hours) when he was 3 weeks old. He scared me to death. I kept checking on him, but he was sleeping. They were put to bed and that was that. My middle got up every 1 1/2 hours until he was 4 months old, but then he slept. When I put them down, even if they fussed, we didn't go back in. You go in and "comfort" him - reward for behavior achieved. The need to eat during the night, that can be handled by just letting him put himself back to sleep (if you can stand the pressure on your breasts). By 10 mo. kids usually have learned they can wake and then go back to sleep.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:42 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I had my Dd going to sleep in her crib with soft music and me rubbing her belly at this age. It took a bit of a challenge to adjust the schedule, but it worked and she was sleeping.... then after about a month it stopped working, and I tried the ferber method, and that worked for two weeks and then she was back to screaming for an hour again. Her teeth have been a constant problem with trying to get her to sleep in a crib. So, now I just put her to sleep and then transfer her to her crib, but then she's up in the middle of the night for me to get. It does give my DH and I enough time to cuddle before she's crowding the bed though, so I'll continue to do this.
    As for his waking every four hours, what time was his dinner? If it's too long without food, it can cause them to wake more frequently in their sleep cycle from hunger. Try giving him a solid food snack before he goes to bed, and then maybe he'll sleep longer.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 7:46 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Five hours is considered a sleep through. The VAST majority of babies wake every 3-4 hours on average for needed feeds and/or peeing. They wake more during growth spurts, teething, and new milestones. In the first year, sleep patterns change a lot and a baby may sleep a long stretch one week during a growth spurt and the next wake frequently. All normal. Sleep patterns don't really settle into a more mature pattern until age three or four. Some babies sleep a lot in the first half of the year, but end up waking more later. There is nothing "bad" about a baby that doesn't sleep long stretches of more than four to six hours...they aren't bad sleepers as some say. They are quite normal. It's actually we adults who have forgotten how to sleep effectively because we watch the clock too much. In fact, we adults wake a night at least once even if we don't remember. 12 months is also a major growth spurt.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:09 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Better to ask how much mine SLEPT...he was up far more than sleeping. I just started =observing his patterns and found I was trying to put him down far too early for his particular needs. When I went with when HE was sleepy, he stayed down for longer periods. Though he NEVER slept dusk to dawn and still doesn't. Nor do I, for that matter...and I never have in my life unless I was seriously ill. Some of us are programmed differently.

Nothing makes a child sleep but the need to sleep. You can make things conducive to sleep, but if that baby doesn't need it, sleep won't happen. You're doing the right things.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:57 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Maybe he's going to bed too early or too late. At 10 months mine was sleeping 12 hours straight. Now she's 20 months and sleeping about 10. He might also be sleeping too long at nap time.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:26 PM on Jul. 28, 2010