1st b-day

Did you have a big expensive blowout or small quiet by yourselves at home?

maggiebella25

Asked by maggiebella25 at 7:23 AM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We had 3 celebrations, notice I didn't say parties, for our dd when she turned 1. The day of she & I hung out doing things she likes to do, when daddy got home from work we had a little dinner just the 3 of us. Then we did her 1st b day party which ended up costing us more than I wanted (his family made it seem like a whole bunch more ppl were actually coming than showed up, they also came 2 1/2 hrs late but that's a whole different post). All of my family is in a different, far away state so we recently visited them & celebrated her b day there for them. If you wanna count plane tickets as part of the b day expenses.....don't even wanna think about it!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 7:32 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• honestly at 1 I think its the parents that make it into a big thing... why wouldnt you its ur little ones 1st BDAY.... but frankly they don't know whats going on .... they do enjoy that ist piece of cake though!! I feel something intimate for the 1st and 2nd.... meaning close friends and family.....its really not until 3 that they really unerstand
    mommy3567

Answer by mommy3567 at 7:45 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• PS I would've preferred to just have a small celebration @ my house (we rented a friend's apt clubhouse) w/ ppl I actually wanted there vs those we had to invite cuz hubby happens to be related to them.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 7:33 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• With my first 2, we had medium sized parties. There were a lot of guests and we had lots of food, but we didn't spend an excessive amount on gifts or extra things. DD2 just turned 1 July 1st and it was her golden birthday, so we made it a little extra special. I feel like she was cheated by having her golden birthday so early though! She won't be able to remember it.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 8:51 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• We're doing a party at the park. Fairly laid back. Nothing crazy. We'll probably spend about $100-150 after the picnic shelter rental, food, plates/napkins/etc, and admission for the older kids to play in the splash area. I'm making the cupcakes and food myself and we're just having snack/appetizer types of food because the party isn't at a normal meal time.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:59 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My daughter's first birthday fell on Thanksgiving so we had to combine the holiday with the birthday.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:18 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Big expensive blow out, but I also baptized her that same day.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 3:07 PM on Jul. 28, 2010