Kool Aid Jelly

I love to can my own fruits and veggies, and we usually put up a batch of grape jelly every year (the only thing the kids will eat), but I've read online that people make strawberry jelly out of Kool aid and pectin. Has anyone every done it? How many jelly jars did you get out of two packs of Kool aid? I do freeze strawberries for smoothies / shortcake, but I'd hate to waste fresh strawberries on a jelly that only I would eat :-)

plylerjones

Asked by plylerjones at 7:31 AM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Never heard of it- but how would it be as waste to make preserves for yourself?

Kids taste buds change too, you never know what they might begin to like if they tried it!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:49 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• no clue.
    but a friend of mine was telling me she makes a jelly out of jello & fruit, you might want to google that one too.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 8:00 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I have tried it before, a friend gave me a jar. I can things all the time & i personally think it tastes horrible compared to the real homemade jams & jellies. I never make jelly though, only jam. It's much healthier for you sine it's made with the whole fruit & not just the juice from the fruit.

I personally don't think jello should be in a jam jar. Just cook your strawberries, add pectine & sugar & that's all you need to make bitchin jam.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:03 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• sorry, i think jello SHOULD NOT be in a jam jar...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:04 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Thanks all! Yeah, I guess I'll just freeze my strawberries like usual and maybe thaw out a bag for freezer jam if I want it later this winter.
    plylerjones

Comment by plylerjones (original poster) at 10:05 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• You can always make a very small batch of normal strawberry jam for yourself. Last year I made a ton of jam, all kinds of flavors, all cooked and all frozen in small freezer jars, some are for me only, some are for DH only, some are for kids only. I'd make & freeze a small batch before I'd make it out of koolaid :S
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 3:56 PM on Jul. 28, 2010