Letting a toddler out to play?

Ok we live in duplex, our apartment is on the top floor. Off the kitchen we have this huge deck, like 10x16 deck. It is totally enclosed with a railing, the rails are about 2 inches apart all around so there is no way a child could fall through, and it is quite tall so there is no way a child could climb over.
Now, I have a 17 month old daughter who likes to play on the deck. She plays with her ball, and looks at leaves that fall from the tree. But she will only play out there for like 15 minutes. So I have been leaving the door open when I'm in the kitchen so she can run in and out as she pleases.
My DH thinks it is unsafe and that she should only be outside if I am out there.
I just don't see the problem...?It's not like a giant hawk is going to swoop down and take her away. It is no different than her being down the hall in her bedroom.
What do you think? Is this a bad idea?

BambiF

Asked by BambiF at 7:52 AM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds fine to me. Double check to make sure all the railings are tightly nailed down, look for anything she might trip on & pound in any loose nails. Tell hubby if he's worried about a large bird taking her away then he can spend his weekends erecting an awning! lol, I know you're kidding about the hawk!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 7:54 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• maybe I'm just paranoid mommy, but I would not let my kids play alone on the top floor deck of a building. You would be surprised at what they can climb and how they can figure out to climb it!
    BUT if you can see her while she's out there and you are comfortable with it, then I'm not gonna tell you not to do it.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 7:56 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• i wouldnt do it only because when i was reading your post i felt my chest tense up and i got scared for my kids if it were them. my kids are creative climbers and i can jsut see them finding a box or a toy or a chair and falling over the rail. i i wouldnt do it unless your little one is in direct sight at all times....
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 7:57 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• i wouldn't either myself just due to the fact that kids are great climbers and if there is anything on the deck she can climb onto then there is that risk, my dd plays on our deck and i ran to go potty super quick even then i peed really fast lol just so i could get back out there with her!
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 7:59 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I wouldn't let Dd play out there, cuz you never know when she'll get curious enough to push something up and try to climb over. I would only let her play out there if I was watching the whole time.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 8:01 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Sounds perfectly fine to me!! I would just make sure there isn't a chair/bench or table that either child can climb up on and climb/look over the railing/fence! Other than that...my children LOVE to draw on the deck with sidewalk chalk--the rain washes it away!

Our deck is mostly in the shade, but when my boys were toddlers they LOVED it when I rigged up a heavy piece of fabric (cotton duck) with clothesline string, and an old shower curtain tension rod and made them a little tent "clubhouse!" I also bought a large plastic sandbox and water table for them to play with. I could lock the deck (to keep them from entering the back yard which was also fenced in), so I could "contain" them when I was showering, vacuuming, cooking, cleaning, etc.) Worked like a charm!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:02 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• just as long as you keep an eye on her i see no harm in that
    Kayge

Answer by Kayge at 8:04 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Don't hover - it makes kids afraid and lack in self-confidence. You are correct in the watching but letting her come and go. Lori gave good advice about the "climbing toddlers". You know your child. Toddlers are probably the bravest humans on earth, which is a good thing or we would never have the nerve to learn to walk. Let her expand her horizons.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:09 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I would anly let her if I could still see her and what she was doing from the kitchen. You can never be too careful.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 8:09 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I should have said, there is nothing out there to climb up on...and the railing is nearly 4 feet tall.
    BambiF

Comment by BambiF (original poster) at 8:09 AM on Jul. 28, 2010