Teaching a child to talk?

My Dd is 15 months old. She says words (Mom, Dadada, bubble, tickletickle, this, that) but she refuses to copy words. She only says things that she wants to say. Like if I try to get her to say bubble, she refuses, she'll only say it when she thinks to say it. She won't repeat anything at all. Is this a cause for concern. Also, those are the only words she's saying and she doesn't say them all the time.. she usually picks a word or two to say for the day, and will only say those words... all day long..
Is this normal behavior for a 15 month old????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:06 AM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like she's got a mind of her own. My mom's a speech pathologist & she'd tell you to do the following: read, read, read, read to her. The more they are exposed to books the better they talk & read. Use words she's already saying like da da & build on those. For ex: da da, d d down, d d dog, d d drink etc. You can use the letter they're saying or the phonics ex: da da, ba ba, na na etc. Name things to her, "Mommy's putting away the dishes. This is a plate, fork, spoon" etc. Do this as much as possible & ask her ?'s ex "Do you remember what was on the shopping list?" Engage her in your daily activities w/ words & she'll start talking away. Remember we spend the 1st couple of yrs teaching them to talk & the next 16 wishing they'd shut up! Enjoy your silence while you have it!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:18 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• She's fine. That is normal. Let her learn at her own pace but she sounds on track for her age.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:08 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• i take it as shes going to be more independant when shes older. she likes to do things herself and doesnt like to do what others do or follow other people. my oldest was like this very much and shes very head strong and independent. . all kids are different but thats the outcome I got
    Kayge

Answer by Kayge at 8:22 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Yep, she is really fine. LOL Just read to her, talk to her like she is an adult and understands, and put a label on everything...like point to the cheese while shopping and say, "This is cheddar cheese. Do you like cheese? I think we'll buy some cheese today." I know at first you will feel crazy talking to her like that, but, it will help. I did it with my son from birth...I talk all dang day long to a baby. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:39 AM on Jul. 28, 2010