HELP! My 11 yr old son wets his pants!

we have ruled out bladder problems w. a doctor. we have spanked, we have taken stuff away, striped his room (only a mattress and desk) made him do his own laundry, yelled screamed, ignored it etc!
what now?? my biggest fear is his friends at school will find out and tease & bully him. He is very popular and well liked. He can be home and do it 10 feet from the bathroom.
HELP!!!!! I just can't deal with it anymore

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:08 AM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Well one reason could be psychological and yelling, screaming and spanking is the reason! It's nerves. Quit making him feel like a freak. He's fine. Just buy protective mats for the mattress and take the boy to counseling but don't be shocked to find out YOUR behavior is causing his stress and making him do this. Not bashing, just saying.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:10 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Wow, is he doing it on purpose?
    Then I would understand punishing him for it.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 8:10 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Well, you've punished him enough, have you tried positive reinforcement? Like, if you don't go in your pants for 7 days straight we'll give you 7 dollars? I liked money a lot when I was that age.

I would also take him to see a shrink... could be a psychological problem.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 8:11 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• lime it his drinking in takes before he goes to bed and see if he can commuicate with with u with he needs to go and reward him when he uses the toliet and no rewards when he wet himself
    vicky307

Answer by vicky307 at 8:11 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• maybe he does need to be embarrsed infront of his friends to get him to stop(?)
    Kayge

Answer by Kayge at 8:14 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Does your son have any neurological issues? In all seriousness there IS a condition where the bladder doesn't send a signal to the brain that needs to be emptied...until it's too late--it's called Urinary Incontinence--and there are a number of causes, that are NOT your son;s fault. You need to take your son to a Urologist. Most incontinence problems, especially in young children can be easily remedied!

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/urinary-incontinence/DS00404/DSECTION=symptoms

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:16 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• It sounds as though he could benefit by some counseling. Has he been able to talk with his doctor on his own? Let him have a talk with his doctor and see what the doctor suggests. For the time being, no more punishing.

Answer by Bmat at 8:17 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• counseling! And stop making him ashamed of it! that just makes the issue worse!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 8:20 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• THANK YOU !!!! You have ALL given me some great info and ideas!!
    zgmom

Answer by zgmom at 8:22 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I would look into other reasons for his problem, but would probably quit punishing for now. At his age, it would be patronizing to "reward" him for going potty...I mean he isn't a baby. Have you ruled out sexual abuse? I am not saying anything about you as a parent, but that can be a sign....most likely it is neurological or psycological. Has he been tramatized in any way? Like a disaster or loss or death in the family?
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 8:22 AM on Jul. 28, 2010