Is anyone who owns a home, still use Food Stamps?

My husband and I decided that either this year or next year to apply for a loan for a home, but we don't want it go against our Food Stamps.

BoasGal

Asked by BoasGal at 8:21 AM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Home & Garden

• If you can afford a house you should be able to afford your food...JMO...you need to be financially stable before you purchase a house (or start the process)...

bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 8:25 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• yes I am. BUT my house was a gift from my mom with the ins. $ after my stepfather's death. I did tell all that to the caseworker, so the gift part might have affected it.

food stamps is based on income, they should ask you what your assets are, you tell them the house, they ask how much you owe, etc.

With that said though, seriously consider this - if you can't afford your own food, how are you going to afford a mortgage? And all the upkeep on your own home that you won't have a landlord to fix for you?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:28 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Well, we already had our home and when DH lost his job (was laid off) while i was pregnant and we had two other children, then we applied and got them immediately. I really didn't care what others thought, because i was doing what was best for my children which meant making sure they had food. The house helped us having a $950 mortgage with no money coming in at all. They used all our exspenses and then figured up how much we got in FS. My mother in law hated it but she didn't offer ot help us feed our children either.
    Momofboys22

Answer by Momofboys22 at 8:33 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• With the state of the economy, lenders have been very reluctant to give out loans even for those with great financial standing & a near perfect credit score. Home ownership is a huge financial responsibility. You really need to make sure you are very stable financially before even considering taking on a mortgage. If your financial situation is such that you need food stamps, you might want to wait until you're in a better financial position to try to purchase a home.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 8:34 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I don't understand your reasoning. I think you need to consider rearranging your priorities before you buy a home. It's kind of selfish to rely on the government for food stamps when you can afford to buy a house.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 8:35 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• So, I can't try to better myself by buying a house? Yet, still get FS. I need to buy food instead and live where exactly? I am buying a 2 bed. trailer. It was $8,000.00 and I have been paying $200.00 a month for 3 years to buy it. I still owe. I also get $88.00/mo. in FS to help. My house payment plus utilities is still far less that I would pay for rent on a house or apt. So, I think y'all need to re-evaluate before you make off hand remarks.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:35 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• if you qualify for foodstamps, I doubt your income will be high enough to get a mortgage.

momofboys22- there is a difference in unexpected loss of income & adding an expense like a mortgage when you are already on food stamps.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 8:36 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• We not wanting to buy a house to because we are being selfish, It is because we have been renting for 16 years and we figure now it is time for us to buy a house. My husbands has ideas and we get things fixed faster if we own a home.
    BoasGal

Comment by BoasGal (original poster) at 8:41 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• yeah....if you can afford to buy a house, then you should not be taking food stamps from people who REALLY need it. I really hope you are not cheating the government...that is one of the reasons our county is in a mess.

If you are not cheating the government, then you should probably NOT buy a house if you are on food stamps. You really need to have a lot saved up when buying a home. You're going to freak out when you find out all the other expenses that come with buying a home.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:44 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• It shouldn't, if you're going to be paying the same in rent anyhow, it's still money coming out of your income, just not going down the drain with you not getting anything for it in the end.
    truthrowan

Answer by truthrowan at 8:47 AM on Jul. 28, 2010