Describe a situation where you yelled at your kid(s), then realize you overreacted. How did you handle it afterwards?

Did you cry? Appologize? Teach them? Forget it? How did it make you feel? And them? What do you do now to avoid a repeat?

anglkisz83

Asked by anglkisz83 at 8:48 AM on Jul. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• I said I was sorry but...I also explained why I yelled. It was a long time ago...memories fade...but I do know I apologized. :-)
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 8:50 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• i apologized and told them that mommies are people too and sometimes make mistakes. that doesn't mean that i'm not still in charge, but i did make a mistake and i apologize. i also told them that it's good to admit when you're wrong and to apologize to the people involved. it wasn't a big deal. they said it's ok mommy lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:52 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• when it happens to me, and it happens to all of us, i get down to her level, on my knees and tell her how sorry i am. and i tell her that i over reacted and that i was wrong. i dont know if she'll remember it or not but i know i do and i hope to learn from my mistakes. so maybe if we remember how much it hurts "us" too maybe that'll help us refrain
    jadasmother

Answer by jadasmother at 8:58 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Well my daughter is only 17 months, but a little while ago she was opening and closing a cupboard really noisily and I said 'stop that' and she laughed and kept doing it. So I took her away from it and she came back and looked right at me and did it again and I yelled 'KNOCK IT OFF'
    I felt like such a terrible person, I mean she thought it was a fun game but I was having an aweful day and wasn't in the mood.
    She instantly fell to the floor and started crying. I scooped her up and cuddled her and said sorry a million times. Then I gave her a treat because I felt so bad.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 9:00 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I apologized and talked it over with them. We all felt better afterwards.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:35 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I usually cry and apologize because when I get to the place wheere I am yelling, I am already on the edge (usually about something else). She is 4 so she says I am sorry too mommy, I love you.
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 10:02 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I said I was sorry, cried in private and try really hard not to flip out on them in the first place...a huge issue for me years back. I was a major over reactor! I am a work in progress!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:26 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I dont remember the situation. I just sat him down and told him that even mommas make mistakes and aplogized and gave him a hug.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 1:29 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• yesterday, the kids were fighting and i yelled at the one who usally starts it but this time she was nowhere near the fighting. I told her sorry, then explained why i yelled. they were upstairs by the way.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 7:43 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I always apologize and admit I was wrong. They need to see how adults do it. Furthermore, if I think my husband overreacted (he's less likely to admit it) I stand up for my kids and tell him in front of them that he should apologize. He usually does especially if I turn the look on him.

~Scout
    ScoutsHonorHMR

Answer by ScoutsHonorHMR at 7:54 PM on Jul. 28, 2010