Do you have two different religions/beliefs in your home?

I do. I'm christian and DH is agnostic/atheist and even though we get along great and we respect eachothers beliefs. Sometimes it can get in the way. I just try to avoid any topic of religion or beliefs with him but he'll ask me questions and gets mad when he doesn't like the answer and tries to debate. I have to stop him at times because I have to remind him I love him no matter what he believes.
Does anybody else have different beliefs from there DH/SO and how do you deal with it?

BrandyBaby22

Asked by BrandyBaby22 at 8:52 AM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, we are both Southern Baptist. Though, I did go to Catholic school! I have an aunt who is Catholic which means her 4 kids are Catholic; however, my uncle was Southern Baptist like my dad (they were brothers). They worked it out well. She helped me with the whole Catholic school mass and all since Baptist don't do all that. I went when the masses were still in Latin, so I don't know what they were saying. I did love the Sisters though. In later life, I am glad a did some time at Catholic school because I understand a little better how it all works.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:56 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My son and I have a very strong belief in God. My daughter believes that one person created everything but not sure if it is the same God that we believe in. I don't push the issue just have Faith that God will open her eyes and draw her to Him. She has a bunch if health issues right now and God is opening doors for her and protecting her. I comment on what God is doing and I let her make up her own mind. That's all you can do.
    dragonlady44

Answer by dragonlady44 at 9:00 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• yes, I was raised catholic..never again

his family are born-agains (he doesn't really practice though)

Its best to avoid religious jokes, he finds them disrespectful...I don't

he takes the Bible as literal, I don't

But we teach our kids about God, and they learned to pray...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:02 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I am agnostic, so is dh...my son wants to believe in Jesus and go to church with my grandparents so i allow him to. It doesnt bother me at all.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:14 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Nope.  My home is a religion free zone.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:15 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Nope, we are the same faith, go to the same church, have the same beliefs, etc. It didn't start out that way, but he decided on his OWN, HIS FREE WILL, to convert.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:39 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• We are both Christians but sometimes we disagree on things, it's never been an issue because neither one tries to convince the other that they are right, we just accept each others opinions. I have had issues with his side of the family because they are opinionated and just plain annoying about their beliefs, my family is much more laid back and accepting of other people where his family, well lets just say they aren't. Thankfully my dh is the black sheep of his family when it comes to things like that.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:55 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• my husband is agnostic and i am pagan (native american tradition) / UU. our belief systems are way more alike than he cares to admit lol. when i go to lodge he teases me and calls it a seance and says say hi to all the witches, even though neither of those things has anything to do with my practice and he knows it. every now and then i catch him being open to some of the mystery... a concept beyond christian/non-christian is a newer one to him - it has taken me a while to explain that there is something else, that not everyone needs to be defined in the christian box... he grew up in texas, it's not his fault lol. the main discussion we've had with respect to raising our baby due in november is that he is not allowed to raise him with close-minded redneck ideas lol.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:27 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My DH is Christian, I'm Pagan... We really don't talk religion. He has his beliefs, I have mine, we keep them separate and respect each others beliefs... No Big Deal...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:27 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Let's see, I have Pagan beliefs, my MIL and SIL are Christian, and I am not 100% sure what hubby believes but I believe it's along the Christian line. We both love to get into discussions about it ... his mom and older sis (the one staying with us right now to help out with mom) will get into the discussions. It's fun ...
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 12:40 PM on Jul. 28, 2010