What is the right way to discipline my 4 year old?

I believe in popping him with my hand and putting him in the corner, taking his toys...you name it I've tried it but nothing seems to get through to him. I need advice.

Madame_Ice3000

Asked by Madame_Ice3000 at 8:55 AM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• what worked for me was talking to them, just sit them down and ask them why are they doing what they did/ doing. or giving them a option, you can behave and do this or act up and not have this ...i tried doing the smack the hand but they just lashed out more or turned around and hit me too which turned into a endless battle , like I alwasy put though..every child is different, do hwta you think is right
    Kayge

Answer by Kayge at 9:00 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• That helped alot. I will try that. I've ben having difficulty with him because of past issues. I just don't want him to be afraid of me but I want him to take me seriously.
    Madame_Ice3000

Comment by Madame_Ice3000 (original poster) at 9:03 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• There are some good books out there that can help with discipline. Dr Phil's is supposedly great. Find your child's "currency", that thing or activity which is most important to him, and withhold that as punishment. Withhold it for a reasonable time not an unreasaonable length of time.

Time out can be effective too. Make the length of time appropriate for his age and be consistent. Do not talk to him if you have to take him back to the time out spot. People give up on time out because the child has to be returned to the spot. It can take a long time before he stays there. Whatever method you pick do it every time and stay consistent and stay calm.

Make sure he also is getting enough one on one time with you and hubby. That he is getting praise for the things he does right. And lots of hugs and kisses.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:30 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Consistency is a key to discipline. 4 year olds need structure and consistency. Without these two things they feel insecure and can misbehave because of their insecurity. Whatever discipline method you decide on stay consistant and don't back down.
    vanessabrown

Answer by vanessabrown at 10:19 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• We do the hold position. They do the push up position and sit and hold. Might seem wrong but it works for us. They work out for whatever they have done. But i also am a firm believer in popping a child on the butt.
    justme581

Answer by justme581 at 8:30 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• We reserve spanking for times when he's putting himself or others in danger (running into the street, putting his hand up to a hot burner on the stove, throwing toys at friends, etc.). I try to keep everything as positive as possible. I ask him to be my helper and give him special jobs to do. He LOVES racing against me. Sometimes I'll say "Hey can you pick up all of these hot wheels cars before I count to 20?" and then I start counting...of course I stretch out the last few numbers so he beats me. ;-) When he has a particularily good day with few arguments and whining, we go on a bike ride or read an extra book at bedtime or have a picnic for dinner (sometimes it's just pizza on the livingroom floor). Reward the good and do whatever you can to ignore the bad. When all else fails (like in public lol) bribe them! lol
    EwansMommy

Answer by EwansMommy at 12:19 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Sit down and tell them what they are doing is wrong.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:14 AM on Sep. 14, 2010