Do you say yes to friends because you feel bad!

I always say yes to friends because i don't want to feel bad saying no and feel this is the only way to keep them as a friend but in the long term it ends up hurting me and my husband because we always fight about it. He's says I let people walk all over me!!!

PageKing

Asked by PageKing at 8:59 AM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Relationships

• Are we the same person? I've been talking about this for days and how unhealthy a habit it is for me. I feel like I also say yes to situations that I should say no in.
    yezay

Answer by yezay at 10:52 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Sometimes..but sometimes I don't. Depends on my mood.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:07 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• NO. Sometimes, people are going to feel bad. It's part of life. They'll get over it. I'm no carpet for anyone to walk all over.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:32 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Yes I do and sometimes i regret it but I can't help it. I always seem to put others before me and myself.
    Madame_Ice3000

Answer by Madame_Ice3000 at 8:59 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• you should tell them no sometimes...depending on what it is, if they get mad then they arent your friends. they should respect your decissions.
    Kayge

Answer by Kayge at 9:05 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I completely agree. maybe i should try that sometime...lol
    Madame_Ice3000

Answer by Madame_Ice3000 at 9:06 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• let me rephrase they probably wil get mad at you but a real friend will get over it, if they quit being friends then they werent worth your time. its a good way of finding who is true or not
    Kayge

Answer by Kayge at 9:06 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Most of the time I am in the same boat as you, I say yes, even if it really does put me out to do whatever they are asking. However, my husband and I don't fight about it, lol usually he just pitches in and helps with whatever I have agreed to.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 9:13 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Sometimes I do. But most of the time I don't. My friends would be upset if I was saying yes when I didn't want to. They expect me to do what is best for me not them. Especially if it is causing fights between hubby and you. Do what is best for your family. True friends will understand. I would want someine to do things for me because they want to not because they felt they had too.
    dragonlady44

Answer by dragonlady44 at 9:15 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I used to all the time. Had to start being true to myself ,though, and learn that the world does not come to an end if I say no once in awhile. And people were walking all over me and taking advantage. I don't know what you are being asked, but have a bunch of responses ready that you are comfortable with. Like...That sounds interesting, but I'll pass this time. I hope you enjoy it" ; "Thanks but that really isn't something I'm interested in. Have fun though"; Thanks, but I've been on the go too much lately. Hope you enjoy it". If it's something like babysitting, role play with your husband as to what a response could be. Practice saying things out loud if it would help. I thought I would choke the first time I ever said no to someone. I got through it and they basically said, OK, no problem. It gets easier & easier. I have to admit that I have also said I have plans, but it's really better to be honest. :) GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:22 AM on Jul. 28, 2010