For women that have had or has Gestational Diabetes

I have just been diagnosed with GD and am having a very hard time being creative with recipes. I am hoping that so moms that have a bit of experience with GD or those currently with GD will share some tips or recipes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had GD with daughter. The dr cut my calorie intake down. Was hospitalized twice because they couldn't regulate my fasting blood sugar. I just watch what I ate. Be. Careful though, my daughter was 9lbs 13oz at 2 weeks early!
    dragonlady44

Answer by dragonlady44 at 9:23 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I had GD with 4 out of 5 of my pregnancies. My 2nd and 3rd were diet controlled, with my 4th and 5th I took an oral medication to help, but I never had to use insulin. As far as recipes - I just cooked what I normally did and ate more of the veggies/meat and less of the potatoes, rice, rolls, etc. A lot of nights I would start out my meal with a big salad (lots of tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, no croutons). For a treat, I kept sugar free popsicles in the freezer, and occasionally I would make a low sugar dessert substituting splenda. I missed my pasta, lots! but it really is a short time that you have to do without. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 10:23 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Just watch the carbs. The docs told me to stay under 60 carbs per lunch and dinner, 30 for breakfast, and 15 for a snack. And protien helps keep your sugars down. I ate alot of meet and cheese, and sandwiches on wheat bread, :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:44 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I actually bought a diabetic cookbook and used some of the recipes in my South Beach Diet book. I was able to manage with diet alone.
    AlyKen

Answer by AlyKen at 7:58 PM on Jul. 28, 2010