If you are agnostic or athiest...

and your children asked to go to church would you allow them to go?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 9:23 AM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yup..Im athiest & they are starting bible school here soon..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:23 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My daughter goes to church with her father most Sundays (we're divorced). Doesn't bother me in the slightest.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 9:23 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Well I would be confused as to why they wanted to go to church if they were raised to not believe in that.
    I would have to tell her 'No, sorry, we aren't Christians'
    It wouldn't be any different than a Christian saying their child can't stay home from church, or go to the Bhuddist Temple or something lol
    Now if she were in her teens, and had decided she believed in God and wanted to attend a church service, I would say fine do what you want. As long as I didn't feel like she was getting brainwashed or misled...
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 9:26 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I guess. I don't see it happening, but...
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:27 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Of course I would. I would even take them myself if they asked.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:29 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My DD does on occasion, though she was indoctrinated by the family without my consent.

The rule for the boys (who are still FAR too young to understand religion) is that they will not be permitted to attend any religious meeting until HS. They have been completely devoid of religion, and I wish to keep it that way until they can comprehend the implications. Likewise, they have not been exposed to MY beliefs, nor should they be until they can understand the implications.

My DD is, at present, a lost cause. All I can possibly hope is that when she grows into herself, she'll be capable of understanding logic & reason- and be open to exploring MANY, MANY, MANY religious paths before she decides what is right for her.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:32 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• BambiF, I would never tell my children what they are, and what they should believe. If they asked why I didn't go to church, I would say, "Because I am not Christian" not "We are not Christian". Children should not automatically be forced into the beliefs of their parents, including lack of beliefs. That is why I would take them to church if they asked. Really, what better way for them to learn about the beliefs of others, than to try them on for yourself?

There are no Atheist Children, Christian Children, Muslim Children, Buddhist Children, Hindu Children, ect.... How can there be when they have had neither the time or education or understanding, to decide for themselves what they are?
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:34 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My children have been to church.  The experience did more for promoting atheism than anything I could ever do.

My daughter was invited to church by a couple of her friends who swore their church wasn't intolerant.  My daughter had a really tough time trying to contain the smirk on her face as the minister went on and on about the evil godless heathens while her friends kept sinking lower and lower into the pews out of sheer embarrassment.

When I asked her what she thought about the experience she said it wasn't worth getting up for.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:37 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Sorry but I don't think a small child can choose for themselves. That is why I said if when she is a teenager she wants to explore religions, then it is fine by me.
    I don't think there is anything wrong with sharing my lack of belief with my child.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 9:40 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• BambiF, I share my lack of belief with my children all the time. We have open dialogue about everything. They are 6 and 4, and as yet have never been to a church. But they have asked questions about god, churches, heaven and angels. I share with them what I believe, and also what others believe. So far they have both decided they want to believe in god and heaven, and I am fine with that, because I know they are young, and still formulating their own thoughts. I also know that over the years we will have many, many more in depth discussions regarding faith, and what they believe today may not stand.

The other day I went to lunch with some people I had just met. We got to talking about religion, and I said something about how I didn't know if my boys would believe in god or not when they got older. My 6 year old chimed in that he does believe in god. The woman we were talking to gave him a high five, and said "Me too honey...
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:47 AM on Jul. 28, 2010