Changes to make when baby turns 1

Our baby just turned 1 and I want to start making some changes but am not sure what to start with. She doesn't drink a lot from a sippy cup (likes kefir over whole milk) and prefers nursing (she wakes up between 3 and 5 times each night ), although I am VERY ready to stop but have no idea how. I'm afraid if I wait until she's ready to wean, it might be a very long time. I'm 38 and would like to have another baby and so far haven't even resumed menstruating. So, I guess my question is really about nursing/sleep...etc. I nurse her before naps and bed but she always gets put down drowsy but awake. I've tried cutting out a nursing session and had some success but a few days later she was back to screaming her head off with no sign of going back to sleep, so I gave in. Sometimes I wonder if I'm not feeding her enough during the day but I offer food and snacks and she's just not a big eater, not to mention she has only one tooth.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes. I plan to wing him off of breastfeeding my youngest son
    malina30

Answer by malina30 at 9:38 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• and another thing i plan to find a babysitter for both boys
    malina30

Answer by malina30 at 9:39 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• ok...you're probably going to get someone who feels like being mean today, and bash you on no sippies....get rid of the bottle, and start on sippies, don't give in and give a bottle,..umm, as far as sleep, start slowly, this part might be better from a breast feeding mom, but give her a sippy of warm milk before she goes to bed, and when she wakes up, just sit with her until she falls back to sleep, and eventually phase it out to just talking to her through the door or something, so she knows she's not being left high and dry, if she's at all scared for any reason.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 9:44 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• 12 months is a major growth spurt wait until it passes. also sippy cups are not good for long term use, straw cups are better for jaw and tooth development.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:21 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• If you're looking for ways to encourage weaning, I would probably wait a few weeks before starting, but you can simply eliminate one nursing session per week, or you can employ "don't offer, don't refuse". Both are gentler then weaning cold turkey, but a little more firm then baby led weaning. Simply cutting back on nursing can encourage the return of ovulation, so you don't HAVE to completely wean if you don't want to.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:41 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• It's wonderful you are nursing. The World Health Org recommends waiting 3 years before ttc for your health an the health of the new baby. Since you are an older mom that is even more important. I think waiting the 2 more years is more important than being 2 years older. It is also better for mothering and for the kids. It's hard to take care of a baby and a child under 3.

The World Health Org also recommends breastfeeding for at least 2 years. There are always times when moms feel like quitting. It sounds like your child is not. It is best for your child. I liked nursing a toddler better than nursing a baby once I gave up and gave in. Children will wean themselves. If they don't, its easier to wean a 2 year old then a 12 mo old.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:35 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Humans don't need to drink cows milk. Cows milk is for baby cows. Breastfed kids don't need to have any milk products because they get human milk. They usually like food with milk in it like cheese. A 12 mo may be a little young for kefir since it has so many probiotics and is sweetend. I drink kefir so I am familiar with it.

All kids need to drink is water. The AAP says up to 4 oz a day of juice in an open cup.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:50 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• There are some problems with some sippy cups. Breastfed kids usually do well with straws. You can take a Tupperwear kids bell tumbler with the lid and punch a hole in the lid with a regular paper hole punch. Take the cup and go to ACE and buy tubing that fits snugly in the hole like a straw. It's cheap and safe because it's used for freezer ice makers. Buy a couple feet but you can wash and reuse. Even disabled kids can drink from these cups. You may find you like it so much you make one for you with a bit Tupperware tumbler.

http://www.kellymom.com/ is a great breastfeeding website, at http://www.mothering.com/ there are discussion boards with mothers that are nursing toddlers and mothers doing child led weaning.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:54 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• You might get your period back if you just wean her from the nighttime nursings. There is some info on "encouraging" fertility while breastfeeding at Breastfeeding and Fertility

Good info on nightweaning a toddler at Changing The Sleep Pattern In The Family Bed

and Setting Limits on Nighttime Nursing

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:57 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• i went against doctors order! i started feeding my girls solid food at the age of three months. i tossed all bottles and just had cups. they have cute little cups with no lids at the dollar tree. that helped with my middle one. i guess i was under to much stress, i could only feed the kids til they were seven months.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 7:36 PM on Jul. 28, 2010