What is WRONG with people?

SUMMIT, N.J. - Dusk fell around Salvadoran immigrant Abelino Mazaniego as he sat on a bench on a promenade in an upscale New York suburb after finishing his restaurant shift. As night encroached, so did a group of teenagers, including one with a cell phone videocamera at the ready.

Then, authorities say, they beat him unconscious, with the camera rolling.

Days later, the 47-year-old father of four was dead - but not before the video had been circulated among teenagers in Summit, N.J., authorities say. And not before a nurse in the emergency room where he was taken the night of July 17 was accused of pilfering several hundred dollars from his wallet.

The attacks on Mazaniego's body and dignity resulted in days of escalating court actions that culminated Tuesday in murder charges against three young men, ages 17, 18 and 19. A fourth teenager believed to have videotaped the attack hasn't been charged

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:44 AM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• What are parents raising these days, this is way beyond disgusting!

Answer by older at 9:49 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Why isn't the fourth animal not being charged? These were not young men they are animals acting like animals. Disgusts me, turns my stomach. I hope they are penalized to the full extent of the law.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 9:48 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• You know, I was reading about this earlier and I just want to vomit....
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:47 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Ugh..sick people in this world,
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:48 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Wow..... I really cannot wrap my head around how people can become so evil...
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 9:54 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I believe what we are seeing in these kinds of young people is the result of their never having been taught to respect any kind of authority and never having been made to experience the consequences of their prior bad behaviors. The violence in the stuff they watch and the games they play has further contributed to their lack of understanding of real life accountability. I think the bottom line is that parents are failing to instill the morals and values that prevent this kind of thing from happening. When I was a child, these kinds of incidents were unheard of. The major difference between those days and these is that then children were taught right from wrong and they were disciplined for the wrong.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:02 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• And OP, yes, this is a terrible, terrible case. I read about it a little earlier and my heart just goes out to the poor man. How awful :(
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:08 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• For GOD'S sake, it has nothing to do with being a Christian or not! It has everything to do with bad parenting and lack of morals. I am willing to bet these kids grew up in a fatherless home and depended on public assistance for their survival. There have been studies linking the 2 and violence. The lack of family and parenting is ruining this country.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:23 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• You got it, OP. And I agree--I can't figure out what is a worse scenario--a vicious crime with a specific motive or a random one. I suppose the end result is the same, so it doesn't even matter. It just sucks all around.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:56 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Well here's the deal, this is human nature. There have always been very violent, nasty people in this world who do very awful things to other human beings. Nothing has changed since the beginning of time. We want to think we are beyond all that now, that we are "enlightened" and that we have evolved. In many ways we just haven't Look at the things that happen in the rest of the world. What makes people think this country is so much better than any other? What makes us think that we are above this?

Most humans are good, most will not bring harm to their fellow human beings. There are too many people out there who will though, and I am never shocked by these things. The only difference today as opposed to even 25 years ago, is that technology has made it possible to record these things post them on the web or send it to other people.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:00 AM on Jul. 28, 2010