It is so sad seeing him leave...

My husband works every day except saturday and sunday... But my kids get so sad when there daddy leaves they ask him to stay and when they say goodbye they start to cry... I am a SAHM and my husband has got the job of his dreams he loves it but wishes he can be with the kids as well. I am thinking about getting a job now so that he doesn't have to work that much and be with the kids more. Do your little ones get upset when daddy leaves?

Claudiomom

Asked by Claudiomom at 10:01 AM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No because we leave before he does. And since he's not working, he just sleeps in. Our son goes to daycare part time anyway, so they get to spend time with each other.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 10:02 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• my husband leaves for up to a month at a time. be grateful for you weekends.
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 10:07 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I used to travel a lot for my job. I would be gone for days at a time. Here are some ideas to help wipe away the tears. Have hubby leave little notes for the children. They should be short and sweet. Thinking of you kind of ideas. He can add a Hershey's Kiss - or a rubber band (he will bounce right back to them) - or any little token that has meaning to them.

Another idea is he starts a note by writing the beginning of story. During the day the children add a sentence or two to the story. In the evening/over dinner you read the story as it evolves each day.

You can also have a thought jar. Dad fills out slips of paper and when the children are particularly weepy they retrieve a thought from the jar.

If you can afford to be a stay at home mom, enjoy the experience. As a teacher I can assure you it will pay off in the long run.

EvesMom731

Answer by EvesMom731 at 10:08 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• yes, they do. he works long shifts and usually 3 or 4 days at a time and only 1 day a week off (which he usually spends sleeping bc he's so tired from working too much). it is one thing that me and him always fight about. it's so heartbreaking to see the kids cry like that.
    bestmommyeber....... i have been through this a million times with my hubby. they are kids and they don't understand.... all they know is that their daddy is gone and they miss him. i think that's really a mean thing to say.... is that what you say to comfort your kids when daddy goes? sure hope not
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:21 AM on Jul. 28, 2010