Worming a Pup ?

We have an American Bull Dog, He goes this saturday for his 3rd set of puppy shots, he also has been wormed twice already, but today I noticed little white worms in his poop . Is twice so far not enough , I will of course get them to check on Saturday and they will probably worm him again then but , how often is a pup suppost to be wormed and sense he has already been wormed twice why does he all of a sudden have them ?

bshelly

Asked by bshelly at 10:47 AM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Pets

• I got meds for that from PetSmart, saves on the vet bill.
    It can take a while to get rid of them, but the stuff from PetSmart is definitely better than repeatedly going to the vet for it.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:49 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• If the worm looks like rice segments...they are probaly tapeworms (from eating fleas)...the routine deworming doesn't include tapeworms...Try to move up the appoinment or see if you can drop off a stool sample to be tested...
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 10:50 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Oh, you can get the dewormer for tapeworms from petsmart like darkfaery said if you wanna save some $ :) It works pretty good, just make sure to tell the vet @ the appt that you gave it to him so its part of his records
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 10:51 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Is he on heartworm treatment? That will also work on intestinal worms.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:07 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Those little white worms in his poop (if they look like rice) are likely from ingesting fleas. They are a tapeworm, and if puppy has been wormed, it could be that the body is flushing them out. Most puppies get worms naturally from mother's milk if she eats something that gives her worms, or puts the parasite in her bloodstream. Some are easier to get rid of than others, but again, if he's already been wormed twice, another shot won't hurt, but the body could just be expelling them for now. I'd keep an eye on him, if he still has them after 5-7 days, I'd give him another dose. The best dewormer you can buy is found at your local feed store. I don't mean Tractor Supply or Orschelns, I mean an actual feed store. They make chewable tabs, chewy treats, liquids, or pastes (in a syringe) and you can find what works best for your dog.

Also, if you've been using the same wormer, it may have done all it can do the first dose. Try
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:26 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• a different medication. Pyrantel Pamoate I believe is one... there are typically 3 or 4 different kinds, and if nothing else, try a different brand. Good luck to you and puppy! And thank you for being a concerned and responsible owner!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:28 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Does he have fleas? it's possible he got rid of them and then got them again if he has fleas.
    .Angelica.

Answer by .Angelica. at 4:28 PM on Jul. 31, 2010