Medical Transcription???

My son is 4 months old and I have been a stay at home mom. I am in the Air Force Reserves, but that is only 1 weekend a month, and I work a few extra days when my husband is off work because we aren't quite ready to leave our son with a babysitter. I really want to get into medical transcription so that I can stay at home with my son, but still contribute to the household. I want to take the classes for Med Trans online. Can anyone recommend a legit and decently priced online school that I can look into??????? Thanks!!!!

Asked by blu_jeenz at 8:28 AM on Jun. 29, 2008 in Money & Work

• I dont want to burst your bubble, but I know a few women who have gone through the trainig for this job then couldnt get a work from home position till they did the job in an office for at least a year. Just an FYI Also everyone I know who got trained went to a conventional college type setting. Sorry

Answer by vbruno at 10:02 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Have you checked out CareerStep? Many of the top companies recommend them and will hire new graduates.

Answer by jm59 at 11:35 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• I was an Operations Manager for a major medical transcription company. We had transcriptionists who worked from home, but they each had a minimum of 2 years of experience in their field. Unless you can find a company that is willing to train you straight out of an online school, you are going to have to work at a hospital or doctors office. The field of medical transcription seems to have a reputation of being easy and a good way to stay at home and earn money. I can tell you it is not. It is very hard work. You will be an independent contractor and will only be paid by the line. The norm is 8-10 cents per line of typed transcription. You better be able to type at least 60 words per minute to make any money. I am not trying to talk you out of it, just know what you are getting yourself into. You will also have to pay out for any equipment that a company or the school will want you to have. The footpedals, medical dictionaries and other software can be very expensive.

Answer by AKEllen at 4:31 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Unfortunately, the advice given so far isn't real encouraging; however, it isn't necessarily correct either. I'm working as a medical transcriptionist and know MANY others that are. I have not experienced any of what has been mentioned above. You certainly shouldn't ever pay for equipment to work for someone either. If you visit our group here on cafemom called MT Moms, you will meet a lot of others who are currently working and/or going to school now.

Career Step, M-Tec and Andrews are really good choices for MT training.

Good luck.

Answer by pam at 11:53 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I'm a Career Step student! They are most awesome school I have experienced online. They are really supportive and they are student forums with other students to get help if needed.

They work with your states Vocational Rehabilitation Dept, If you are military they have an account with the base to get you in no cost to you, they also have very flexible payment plans.

You can take your time, its all at your pace. Here is my personal site, my student id is c08-01566 if they ask. You can call them at 1800 246-STEP

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 11:47 AM on Apr. 28, 2009