Do you buy all the school supply that is on your child school supply list? Do you send anything extra to help out?

I know in many states the school supply list is very different. Some more than others. Do you buy everything that is listed on the supply list for your children? Do you buy extra stuff like baggies, hand sanitizer, paper towels, extra crayons for the class room? My son's list this year is very small. Just the basics were asked. It's odd because he is going into the 4th grade and the kindergarten list is a very long list!

lil_Army_Wife05

Asked by lil_Army_Wife05 at 11:02 AM on Jul. 28, 2010 in

• I buy all the supplies on the list (which is quite long!) and send in extra items as the teachers request them throughout the year. At our school, the teachers will send out e-mails to the parents asking for extra donations of sanitizer, crayons, disinfecting wipes, etc and I will pitch in when needed.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 11:05 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• We are only asked to send a Pencil & Notebook... Beyond that, and even extras of those, are provided by the school. BUT, IF we had that kind of thing here, I would happily send in extras. The stuff is so super cheap at WalMart, I would happily send extras for those who can't afford what they need...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:06 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• i buy what's on the sheet, if during the year they ask for more stuff then i'll buy it...but i do tend to buy one or two xtra things cuz of the price more or less, lol
    MommaSyrup07

Answer by MommaSyrup07 at 11:07 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I don't send anything until after the 1st day of class and the teacher has verbally told her she'll need this that and such. Usually it's shorter than the list they give out during orientation anyways. I used to do the same in college, not buy a book for a class until after the 1st day. It was a money saver then and it's a money saver now.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 11:11 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• my sons dad buys the school supplies that are on the list but I usually buy extra crayons, markers and pencils since they are usually cheaper at back to school time and I dont know if its boys or the 1st few years but I usually have to replace crayons and markers after xmas break and usually after spring break cause they are broken, dried up or half colors are missing
    BriceAllisonMom

Answer by BriceAllisonMom at 11:15 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• We pay a supply fee but when they start to run low we send stuff in. With 4 kids I stock up on crayons, pencils, glue sticks this time of year. So we always have it here and send it in when it's asked for
    AnnaBright

Answer by AnnaBright at 11:16 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• i use to buy everything on the supply list for his classes but when he got into middle school, i started just buying what he needed the most: paper, pencils, pens and binders.
    shorty13417

Answer by shorty13417 at 11:20 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• As an elementary educator I would say buy what you can afford. Depending on the economic area your school is in the list should be complementary. My school in a low income area we are required to create a list that will cost less then $3.50 per child at the local stores!!!
    LorisBaby

Answer by LorisBaby at 11:56 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I am going to buy everything on the list, but nothing more for the classroom, just extras to have for at home or when he needs replenishment. This is our list:

4 boxes of 24ct crayola crayons - regular size

1 box of 8ct crayola crayons

1 package of 10 #2 pencils

1 box of fat crayola markers - basic colors

1 pr of fiskars scissors for kids

6 bottles of elmer's school glue

2 boxes of kleenex

1 box of gallon sized ziploc bags - girls only

1 box of quart sized ziploc bags - boys only

3 large rectangle containers of baby wipes - no travel size - no wipes with bleach

1 crayola 8 basic watercolor paints

1 large backpack or book bag - no wheels

1 beach towel or small blanket for rest time

1 4pk of expo brand dry erase markers

1 pack of napkins

1 plastic school supply box
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 12:07 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I buy everything on the list, and I send extras later in the year if the teacher requests something. I know some parents can't afford the extras and the teachers have to pay for supplies out of their own pockets if they're needed.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 3:03 PM on Jul. 28, 2010