Looking to buy a new vehicle.. any ideas?

I am thinking more along the lines of a smaller SUV...

Must be good on gas (or at least decent!), I commute an hour each way, every day.
Must have 4WD, as we have awful winters here.
Must be something smaller, I cannot drive a bus! LOL
Must have room for two car seats!

Thanks for the ideas ladies!

FatGirl239

Asked by FatGirl239 at 11:18 AM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Shopping

• Well, i'd say even a small SUV will not be very efficient in gas mileage. I had a Plymouth Neon a few years ago, it drove perfectly on snow, fit 2 car seats. It was a 4WD, compact enough for city drive and parking, it lasted many years with good maintenance, even though i bought it used at a Carmax. The advantage of buying a used car (in good condition and from a dealer that would offer a warranty) was that i didn't get stuck paying full sticker price for a brand new car. Remember: a new vehicle starts losing value the moment u drive it off the lot, so when u buy a used car, most of the depreciation has already happened and you skip paying interest. It's easier to pay off $6000 than $10,000+. You can get a decent, used vehicle for $6000. Check out older models of the Ford Focus, Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla. Go to Cosumer Reports for specs and performance, it will help your decision making.
    Pengy

Answer by Pengy at 11:34 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I currently have a 2007 Dodge Caliber, which I bought used (a year old with 8,000 miles on it). So I completely know what you are talking about. I will almost definitely buy a used vehicle.. I'm just not sure WHAT to buy.. I was thinking about a Kia Sportage, or something similar.. maybe a Ford Escape, etc... just looking for suggestions!
    FatGirl239

Comment by FatGirl239 (original poster) at 11:40 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• We didn't want a large or even small SUV, but we bought a Mercury Sable Station Wagon....it's just like a Ford Taurus Wagon. We love it, has tons of storage room and room for us. Good gas milage too
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:21 PM on Jul. 28, 2010