Dealing with night back pain?

I'm almost 26 weeks pregnant and I'm having lots of back pain at night that makes it very hard to sleep. I toss and turn all night. I can lay on one side for a few hours max and then my hip starts to hurt so I have to switch to the otherside. I obviously can't sleep on my back, but it hurts so much that sometimes it feels better to lay on my back, which hurts. Did anyone else have this problem? What did you do to help it? Or do I just suck it up and deal until the baby is born?

MamaSarah1104

Asked by MamaSarah1104 at 11:18 AM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Have you tried a body pillow? Although it is still on your side, the pillow supports your upper leg and body to alleviate the pressure on the lower part of your body. It also helps support your back better.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:23 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Get a body pillow. They're cheaper than the pillows they sell just for pregnancy, and I found it worked just as well. You put part of it between your knees, and hug it while you sleep. But, beyond that, don't expect your sleeping to really get any better for the rest of your pregnancy—by the third trimester I was getting up every two hours to pee, there was just no room left for my bladder.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:23 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• You can also try to sleep in a recliner, it might help you wont be flat on your back, you can still use a heat pad just not directly on your skin and not all night, Tylenol is what my doc said I could have so maybe something like that can help you too
    Quintensmom

Answer by Quintensmom at 11:28 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I don't have a boddy pillow, but i have one under my stomach and one between my knees, I'm assuming it would have the same affect. But if not I might have to try the body pillow. At least when I get up to pee it allows my back a break lol.
    MamaSarah1104

Comment by MamaSarah1104 (original poster) at 11:28 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I got the pillow and slept on the couch and sucked it up. LOL By the end of pregnancy, my hips would POP everytime I switched sides and it sounded like a shotgun.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:28 AM on Jul. 28, 2010