To much? (PIOG)

am currently a volunteer at the VFW food kitchen, Johns hopkins children's hospital, and I teach self defence to battered ladies once a month. This only takes 5 day's out of my month for a total of 10 hours. I am also a full time employee , a full time mom to a 4 years old, a wife, a friend, and everything else the average person has to accomplish. I would do so much more if it wasn't for the fact that it would take from my son and husband. do i do to much? Some people here at work have called my crazy and exclaim about not having time to do that kind of thing. Am I taking to much on my shoulders? I feel that i am just being socially responsible and doing what is right. What do you think? Should i do less or should others be doing more?

wildwiccan83

Asked by wildwiccan83 at 11:24 AM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• If your happy, your family is taken care off, and you don't wear yourself down. Then be as busy as your heart contents. Enjoy life. Do what makes you happy and helps others at the same time.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Personally, I would think yes. if you are already away from the kids 160 hours a month, you should give as many hours as you can to them now... their child hood is like a blink of an eye... unless they can help you volunteer, then that's great. A good lesson for them.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:30 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Does your family complain? Are you watching your children grow? If you are in any way missing out on family time then I'd cut something out, perhaps a few hrs at the hospital? IMO it's rewarding to volunteer but at the expense of family you may regret it later.
    Family first, volunteer second.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 11:27 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• do you feel too busy, over worked, over stressed? do you have down time, relax time? do you sleep well, eat well and have time for physical fitness for yourself?
    balance is the key. if you feel balanced and are not harming your health or happiness then i think you are fine :)
    everyone is different.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:39 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I think you are setting an excellent example of balance and compassionate outreach for your son! Thank you!
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 12:11 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I'ts not your business to decide how much anyone else should or shouldn't do. You can wish others would do more but don't try and make it your goal to change others who chose not to do what you do. If your schedule is to much for you and it may be if you are wondering, then drop something. If you will feel guilty about stopping the good work you do for these women then don't drop that. Maybe you can find something else to drop or rearrange so your family and your social work can survive.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:24 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My son goes to the VFW with me :) He hands out rolls and napkins. The men love him! They tell him stories and show him pictures of thier kids and grandkids. I think its a great experience for him.

My husband helps with the battered ladies classes. he dresses in padding and is pretty much a living punching bag for the girls to flip, kick and punch to show them that they can defend them selves from a man.

The only work i do alone is the children's hospital. My son it to young to be admitted into the ward with out being a patient and my hubby can't stand seeing kids die. I go the first friday of everymonth and read/ play with the children.

Over all it only takes 2-4 hours a week out of my time and 2 out of 3 of them i do with my family. I think my life is very balanced. I hate my job but love the other things i do. I just think it's funny that people think it is to much.
    wildwiccan83

Comment by wildwiccan83 (original poster) at 1:36 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• i would much rather my son see my out there helping people then sitting on my butt in front of the tv like so many moms i know. My neighbor watches 5-6 hours of tv after work a day and then complains she has no time to clean, play with her kids, or volunteer.....Ummm turnt he tube off! LOL sorry i went off topic there
    wildwiccan83

Comment by wildwiccan83 (original poster) at 1:39 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• you rock

I think you are awesome!  Don't doubt yourself!  Keep up the good work!

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:04 PM on Jul. 28, 2010