do you need to change the water if....

My daughter won a gold fish at the carnvial and he is doing really good! We bought a tank for him, and the directions say to change the water every other week then later it says to only change it if the water is cloudy. well its been 3 weeks and the water isnt cloudy at all. so my question is do i still need to change the water or wait til its cloudy? any help would be great...never had a fish before!

babymaddy

Asked by babymaddy at 11:26 AM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Pets

• One little goldfish in a 2 gallon tank might never need to be changed because the amonnia and nitrates will balance out nicely. Just to err on the side of caution I would change a third of the water once a month to keep the ph levels safe. Goldfish are notoriously hardy fish though so if you don't see him clamping his fins and hanging out on the bottom or if you don't see the edges of his fins turning white from excessive amonia in the water, chances are he's just fine.
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 11:30 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I would. BUT! Do not use water straight from the sink faucet. There are drops you can buy at Wal-mart pet department that takes out the chemicals from tap water and make it safe for your fish. Also, when you do clean out the fish tank/bowl, put the goldfish in a plastic bag with some of his old water and put the fish in the bag with the old water into the clean tank so that the water comes to the same temperature, after an hour or two, you can release the fish into the clean tank/bowl with some of his old water. Yes, this seems like an awful lot of work for a fish, but it is worth it. Good luck.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 11:38 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Yes, change it anyhow. It's good to clean the cage out even if the water isn't cloudy. Remember to use soap that is safe for goldfish. Don't use just any old soap.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:28 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Well I change the water when it is dirty. Gold fish poop a lot. If you have well water you need to just make sure it is room temperature what I do is leave it out in a picture over night then the next am empty out the tank and refill it. For water that is chlorinated you may need to get these special pills to clean the water. I am not so sure what they are you can get them at Walmart or a pet store.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:29 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Wait until it's cloudy.

Gold fish release a hormone into the water to keep them from getting too large for their environment. If you change the water too often you will end up with a gigantic goldfish ;o)
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:38 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I would change the water every week.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:05 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I would change the water once a month (it's what I do for our goldfish). We have a little 1 1/2 gallon tank so instead of dealing with treating the water from the tap I just go buy distilled water from the store (it's only 87 cents for a gallon here). I just find it easier to deal with than trying to treat the tap water. I also use the original dawn (not antibacterial) to scrub the tank and then rinse it really well with HOT water. I hope this helps.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 1:32 PM on Jul. 29, 2010