I feel guilty and sinful! (stupid, but I do)

I live in a neighborhood that is...well lets say past its prime. Lots of unemployed folks..irritating thing about it is, these people many of them anyway are unemployed by choice because it is easier to live off of the government. Yet they always have cigarettes and cell phones, but bitch because they have so little. My DH and I work full time and have it better than most...cars, a pool, lots of nice extras you don't see much around here. I am blessed and so very thankful! But I get a tickle at times being able to buy and have things we work for and have the neighbors know it...shame on me(hanging head here) Last night because I felt like it and could, I went and bought brand new bikes for my boys...I felt proud pulling them out of the van...I know I shouldn't feel this way..how do I stop? Its not that I don't like the poor..but it seems some are poor by choice and it makes me mad! I am horrible!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• pride can go one of two ways..to the betterment or to the detriment of self. it seems you are willing and desirous of changing your pride..while some, it seems, are all too ready to pridefully point out your failings.
    there's nothing wrong with being thankful and appreciative of a hard day's work/reward for it, which you are. 'pride goes before a fall' can fit any one of us, no matter the amount of pride we show. some, like you, admit its wrong and seek suggestions on how to change your attitude. while others, don't see the pride they wear on their sleeves.
    my suggestion would be to alway pray, being thankful for your many blessings, and seek wisdom on how to use your blessings to show love for your fellowman/neighbors. you never know what seed you plant, simply by showing love to all, no matter the circumstance. be a good steward of what you've been given. actions are the loudest testimony of all!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:53 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I dont think you're horrible. You should feel very proud that you work for the nice things you have. I know what you mean.. I live by a lot of ppl--no jobs, but they always have cigs and booze! It drives me crazy! So.. I wouldn't rub it in to anyone that you are "well-off", but there shouldn't be any shame in being proud of what you have. =)
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:34 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Yes, pride is a deadly sin. When you rub it into other people's faces, yes it is horrid. Would you allow your child to rub it in another child's face that they have a toy that the other child can not have? That is what she is doing and she "gets a tickle at times" when she thinks that she is better then other people. She should be ashamed of what she is teaching her children in that respect, what happened to being humble and just plain thankful?
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:52 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• We all have egos and it's human nature to find a way to feel superior to others in whatever way we can. I wouldn't worry about it. :)
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 11:34 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Personally I think you are horrible. You are judging them which is a sin, you are thinking that you are better then them and that you like to brag about all your new crap. Thing is your situation could change in a blink of an eye. I hope for your ego it does, then maybe you won't be so awful to those people. You don't know what their life is like, you don't know what kind of situation they are in, you don't know if maybe they are caring for an older parent or a disabled child. You don't walk a mile in their shoes, handle their money or live their life. Instead of being so insecure about what YOU have, why not give back to your community who obviously needs it.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:40 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• You posted this.... I only agreed.

Its not that I don't like the poor..but it seems some are poor by choice and it makes me mad! I am horrible!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:54 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Like i said give back to your community, reach out to the smoking pregnant lady. Maybe she needs help. Be neighborly, invite her over, get to know her, her life may not be what you think it is. Can you imagine trying to get a job in this market while pregnant? I can't. You want somewhere to start, then start by changing your thoughts about her.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 12:10 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• You have been given good advice but it is pride that is preventing you from hearing it fully.
    Stop being so defencive and let yourself view yourself as others view you, you just might learn a lot.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 12:13 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• no i feel that way at times.. cause we work hard for what we have too, and like my MIL has NOTHING but spends over 200-300 on smokes a month.. its like STOP smoking and you wont always have to ask us for cash!!
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 11:34 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• wow mama roberts she is horrid for being proud that she worked hard to get what she has??
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 11:44 AM on Jul. 28, 2010