Do your children have to wear custom made orthotics?

Does any of your children have to wear custom made orthotics?

If so how much did you pay for them if your insurance company did not cover the cost.

lil_Army_Wife05

Asked by lil_Army_Wife05 at 11:34 AM on Jul. 28, 2010 in Kids' Health

• We have one of those high deductible plans that make us pay $5,000 out of pocket PER CALENDER year before our insurance will pay a penny!! Once we meet our $5,000 deductible insurance will pay 100%. My son has to wear AFO on his feet, one for each foot. It cost us $2,000 for pair. He's had them only for 7 months and has already OUT grown them! So he needs another pair.....
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 12:00 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Just in case anyone is not sure what AFO are.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 12:02 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I had to get orthotics for myself due to a bone spur in my foot. I had Empire Health Insurance at the time and they only covered half. I had to pay $250 out of pocket for two hard rubber thin foot castings to put in my shoes. I freaked but was in so much pain that I felt I had to get them. I was told that Oxford health Insurance does not cover orthotics at all. I have to say that it took many months but they actually relieved my pain. But, I wonder if I had just gotten Dr. Scholls shoe inserts for $10 or whatever that they would have been fine too.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:05 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My oldest son has to wear them. We were lucky and our insurance covered them. I think the doctor said something about them being $150 if insurance wouldn't cover them though. Sorry I can't be more help.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 11:41 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My 3 year old has to have them. We are in the middle of trying to find a doctor who would do them cheap. We are Military and Tricare does not over orthotics at all. Inless they are part of a brace. Well she does not need a brace. Anyway the doctors around here want 500 to 1,000 for them and that does not include an insurance on them when she grows out of them. We can't keep paying for news ones every few months...She has grown fast and her shoes size changes all the time! It is getting annoying trying to find a good but cheap doctor!! She will always have to have them!
    lil_Army_Wife05

Comment by lil_Army_Wife05 (original poster) at 6:48 PM on Jul. 28, 2010